roost...round or flat?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anny, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Do chickens prefer a sound roost or a flat roost?

I have installed the first of two roost in my little coop.

[​IMG]

It's an old closet bar that we fixed up to be a roost. It's smooth and round, will this be an ok roost?

I was thinking of adding another on the back wall in the right corner, this roost will be higher, and I was thinking of also making ita flat 2x4 roost, should I do that or should I make it a 2x2 rounded roost??

If I made it the 2x4 which side should be up, the 2 or the 4?

Thanks

please excuse the messy-ness of the garage, that is our soon to be privacy fence leaning over there haha

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Anny -

Depends on where you live. The flat boards, like 2x4s (wide side, or "4-side" up), help chickens in the winter with keeping their feet from freezing. The flat surface provides a layer of insulation, and then when they squat down to roost, their feet are completely covered and kept warm. Otherwise, they could get frozen feet if your climate is cold enough.

Beyond that, I just think flat boards must be more comfortable. IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    2X4. Flat side up. For reasons stated by Allchookup.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    What AllChookUp said.......

A lot of people use nice large branches also since birds should have perches of variable diameter, shape etc. It's probably not as crucial with chickens as it is with parrots, since parrots spend more time on the perch than the ground.... but it is best for their feet to switch it up so they are not gripping the same thing all of the time. But, like I said, chickens only really perch at night, so I wouldn't sweat it. Just wanted to put it out there [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, I live in the north and my one roost is a 2 x 3 board, with the fat side up.

You could always do two roosts at the same height, one round and one flat and see which ones the birds like to use.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Keep in mind the flat ones collect manure! [​IMG]

It gets pretty cold here and my roosts are round....large bean poles I found under an old building. I read once that, when birds perch, and their knees bend, their toes naturally curl....sort of like a reflexive thing. As I understand it, this keeps them from falling off the perch when they are sleeping. So, I always felt a round perch was probably more comfortable for them. Everybody here is doing their own thing with perches and it seems to work out for everybody just fine, so whatever you choose, its more of a personal choice thing. [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For areas with winter, you want something flat enough they can spread their feet out and cover their toes w/their tummy feathers. The wide side of a 2x4 is a simple way of doing it. Or you could use a debarked treebranch *of large diameter* so that it is effectively pretty flat where they sit on it.

A closet pole is good for the youngsters but is going to be too small diameter for them to be really happy with, esp. in winter, when they're grown.

You can put it higher up, too, at least for full grown chickens.

The coop is coming along nicely!! [​IMG]

Pat

8. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    How much head room ( above the roost) do chickens need???

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    14" is probably a minimum - something like 18-20+ is better. That way they can stand and stretch somewhat when they wake up.

Pat

10. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I use round roosts, anything from limbs to metal rods; but I live in FL and have no problem with frost and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by