roost...round or flat?

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
Do chickens prefer a sound roost or a flat roost?

I have installed the first of two roost in my little coop.

insulation.jpg

It's an old closet bar that we fixed up to be a roost. It's smooth and round, will this be an ok roost?

I was thinking of adding another on the back wall in the right corner, this roost will be higher, and I was thinking of also making ita flat 2x4 roost, should I do that or should I make it a 2x2 rounded roost??

If I made it the 2x4 which side should be up, the 2 or the 4?

Thanks

please excuse the messy-ness of the garage, that is our soon to be privacy fence leaning over there haha

Last edited:
Anny -

Depends on where you live. The flat boards, like 2x4s (wide side, or "4-side" up), help chickens in the winter with keeping their feet from freezing. The flat surface provides a layer of insulation, and then when they squat down to roost, their feet are completely covered and kept warm. Otherwise, they could get frozen feet if your climate is cold enough.

Beyond that, I just think flat boards must be more comfortable. IMHO.

Last edited:
What AllChookUp said.......

A lot of people use nice large branches also since birds should have perches of variable diameter, shape etc. It's probably not as crucial with chickens as it is with parrots, since parrots spend more time on the perch than the ground.... but it is best for their feet to switch it up so they are not gripping the same thing all of the time. But, like I said, chickens only really perch at night, so I wouldn't sweat it. Just wanted to put it out there
smile.png

Yes, I live in the north and my one roost is a 2 x 3 board, with the fat side up.

You could always do two roosts at the same height, one round and one flat and see which ones the birds like to use.

Keep in mind the flat ones collect manure!
wink.png

It gets pretty cold here and my roosts are round....large bean poles I found under an old building. I read once that, when birds perch, and their knees bend, their toes naturally curl....sort of like a reflexive thing. As I understand it, this keeps them from falling off the perch when they are sleeping. So, I always felt a round perch was probably more comfortable for them. Everybody here is doing their own thing with perches and it seems to work out for everybody just fine, so whatever you choose, its more of a personal choice thing.
smile.png

For areas with winter, you want something flat enough they can spread their feet out and cover their toes w/their tummy feathers. The wide side of a 2x4 is a simple way of doing it. Or you could use a debarked treebranch *of large diameter* so that it is effectively pretty flat where they sit on it.

A closet pole is good for the youngsters but is going to be too small diameter for them to be really happy with, esp. in winter, when they're grown.

You can put it higher up, too, at least for full grown chickens.

The coop is coming along nicely!!
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom