Roost- Round or Square?

Just think of mother nature never seen a flat tree branch in the wild and you can bet if your chickens are loose they will be roosting in a tree I always cut small saplings out of the woods for my roost poles when they get too dirty i just replace them

Quote:
Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I completely understand what you mean about Mother Nature and flat tree branches/limbs but I suspect that most of here have totally domesticated chickens as opposed to true wild jungle fowl.

I do keep thick tree branch roosts out in the runs for the "birds to be birds". At the same time, in the coops, I prefer the flat 2 by 4's.

I, in no way mean to be argumentive, I'm just stating the way I do things here, with great results!
wink.png

Dawn

I use 2 x 4's with the 4" side up. I did use a router for the edges and make them a little bit rounded.

On the whole this does not seem to be one of the most crucial decisions, as chickens will seemingly make do with almost whatever.

While tree branches in nature are, obviously, not square
tongue.png
, they are also not necessarily thinnish (like 2") dowel type things. Chickens do not naturally seem to hang on with their feet all night like a parrot would; they do well with, some would say 'seem to appreciate', a wide-ish roost, such as a 2x4 or a *larger* diameter tree branch.

In areas with cold winters where frostbite is an issue, using the wide side of a 2x4 or a 5-6"+ diameter tree branch (bark removed) helps keep toes warm. Also they just seem to like that sort of roost.

A 2x2 or 2x4 should not have sharp corners; but roundED edges is not the same as ROUND, necessariily, you know?
smile.png

Pat

Quote:
i tend to look to the natural state of things as well but you would be hard pressed to convince my dogs that they should go outside and sleep on the ground instead in the house on my couch.
lol.png

i've been watching my little girls. they have a roost in the brooder made from 1X2 on the 2" flat and they 'had' another made from dowell rod. they preffered the 1X2 hands down.

I used big thick round posts that I got when cutting down some shrubbery and brush here at the house around the yard. I would guess that mine are atlease 3 inches thick.
If you ever notice that when a chicken is trying to gain balance on a roost the toes curle? its a natural responce that the little chicken brain produces to keep rooster while sleeping. I think a round roost works better for them. They naturaly grip things with the toes. Like we do with our hands.
It also helps them strengthen their feet and legs. :)

Back
Top Bottom