Roost size, shape, style?

Square roost bar or round?

• Total voters
I used 2 x 4's on edge and flat. I think I prefer small hickory trees, now. They stay cleaner than a flat 2 x 4, are rounded while having good surface area , readily available on the property, and I like the look. Notice how dirty the 2 x 4 is by comparison, and only the guinea usually roosts on it.View attachment 1751905
View attachment 1751884
You should get your guinea fowl some guinea fowl friends.

It's probably roosting on the low 2x4 because the hens won't let it roost with them on the higher branch.

Your likely to find 100 that say round and 100 that say square.
Looks like round has a ways to go before that happens. But, you can have a round roost with a surface area similar to a flat 2 x 4 and it is, ummm, rounded off already. It doesn't have to be a skinny dowel or branch, if that doesn't float your boat. I use small tree trunks, that way I get something long and relatively straight. Just supporting the underdog, lol.

You should get your guinea fowl some guinea fowl friends.

It's probably roosting on the low 2x4 because the hens won't let it roost with them on the higher branch.
My guinea had many friends at one time. Lol, I knew this would come up. He is lame, that is why I kept him. He was low man in the guinea flock. When he is especially stiff, sometimes he sleeps on the floor. He is over a year old now, though, and gets along otherwise. He gets along pretty well with the chickens too, but doesn't have the balance to fight over roost space. I figured if I got rid of him, if anyone would even take him, he would meet a quick end. Now he is our mascot.
20190425_173614.jpg

He is small for a guinea.

Last edited:
Been looking through designs and ideas here and online. I assumed I would use a round 1-1 1/2" wooden dowel for roosting. I see a lot of simple 2x4 roosts. Some have just left the top side of a wall board accessible. Others have a shelf. Before I get dowels, I would like opinions. Do your chickens prefer round? Square? Flat shelf? What is a good roost width? 1 1/2 inches seems to be about right?

Hi! I’m brand new to chicken keeping myself, my ladies are a little over 6 weeks. From what I’ve researched it may depend on where you live. I’m in the Rochester, NY area and winters can be pretty harsh...the 2X4s help keep their feet from frost bite type issues because when they roost their feet can be entirely covered.

I like 2x4’s for their coop roosts, never had any foot problems. I just built this, though (inspired by one on Pinterest) for the daytime to relax while free ranging. Put sand in the bottom for dust baths. They like the branches well enough, but don’t seem as “settled” as they do on 2x4’s, which is what they’re used to.

D39CB690-99D4-4C17-B268-9DE5FF90FA19.jpeg

Attachments

• 8487173F-3DDF-46A8-B6D9-AA02618B46CD.jpeg
    8487173F-3DDF-46A8-B6D9-AA02618B46CD.jpeg
    944.4 KB · Views: 2
My husband used stair railing beams for all of our roosts. They're a bit pricey, but have worked great. They're basically 2x4's with the slightly curved top.

Thank you for posting that. I’m building my coop now, and I also plan to use hand rails from Home Depot... they are rounded 2x4s with a recessed mounting area on bottom. The hand rail is both wide and curved, and offers the best of both worlds. But let’s not mistake the true reason for going with this option... it’s what I like that matters!

Back
Top Bottom