Roost size, shape, style?

Square roost bar or round?

• Total voters
Pics
To show how I attach my roosts so they don't turn. The other end is a lot larger diameter so a longer nail.

Roost Nail.JPG

Our winters can be harsh too- we've gone through some very cold weather and polar vortexes, lots of wind too. They do not need the flat side of a 2x4 to cover their feet. They naturally sit on their feet, even when they are curled around a round roost.

Here are mine with their feet covered on the narrow side of a 2x4. The ones standing on the roost, you can see that their feet only drop down part way on the 2x4, and those sitting are fully covering their feet. My large BJG (that suffered from the breast blister) is roosting comfortably - he is on the far right, 2nd roost down. A chicken wears a down coat, full of fluffy feathers and their natural body temp is actually quite warm.

View attachment 1752756
Great information to have! Looks like those roosts would be easier to clean as well!

Where does one get 2X3's? Most are 1.5X3.5 :old

Calling it a 2 by 4 is more accurate than a 2 by 3.
2x3s are sold as well as 2x4s. 2x3s are actually 1.5x2.5. They are cheaper than 2x4s and work perfectly well. Not saying I would rely on then for framing a house, but I use them for projects all the time.

Roosts have a way of getting in one's way when cleaning the coop.
Roosts can certainly get in the way! Since we opted for a ladder roost, it is even more in the way for cleaning! But, we also planned for the ladder roost to be able to be lifted out of the way for cleaning. We put it on hinges, and have a big eye bolt on the bottom roost, and then a pulley up above to lift it. But, we could also just prop it up with a board if needed.

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 3.41.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 3.39.36 PM.png

2x3s are sold as well as 2x4s. 2x3s are actually 1.5x2.5. They are cheaper than 2x4s and work perfectly well. Not saying I would rely on then for framing a house, but I use them for projects all the time.
Yup, they are. My first coop I built and researched roosts. Many said 2 x 4 wide side up and many said narrow side up. So I split it down the middle. I used 2 x 3 wide side up. My 3 year old Golden Comets like em. I like em.
I framed my 4' x 5' coop with 2 x 3.
My new coop I purchased and its roosts are 2 x 3 narrow side up. My 8 month old Barred Rocks like em. It was as cold as -7 Fahrenheit last winter in unheated coops and no Frostbiten toes on the 10 Chickens.
My conclusion is a flat roost 1.5 or 2.5 wide with a rounded edge is ideal. The narrower roost does stays cleaner. GC

We put it on hinges, and have a big eye bolt on the bottom roost, and then a pulley up above to lift it. But, we could also just prop it up with a board if needed.

View attachment 1754215 View attachment 1754216
I also do that on the big roost that goes along the longest wall except I have chains on the front which are attached to hooks in the ceiling. When I need them out of the way I swing them up and attach the eye on the end of the roost to the ceiling hook. Since the roost is made of tree trunks is fairly light. Also the chicken like to swing on it for some reason.

Been looking through designs and ideas here and online. I assumed I would use a round 1-1 1/2" wooden dowel for roosting. I see a lot of simple 2x4 roosts. Some have just left the top side of a wall board accessible. Others have a shelf. Before I get dowels, I would like opinions. Do your chickens prefer round? Square? Flat shelf? What is a good roost width? 1 1/2 inches seems to be about right?
I first had mine on 2" to 3" tree limbs. Now I have 1-1/2" square boards they seem to be fine with them.

Back
Top Bottom