1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Hey there! I would like to know what width is preferred for roosting boards. Is two to two and a half inches too small?

It can get to below zero a few nights during the winter, if that makes any difference.

Oh, and I have standards, not bantams.

Any input is really appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:2-1/2" will be perfect.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it gets down to 0F, it is safer to have your roost wider (like the broad side of a 2x4, or a comparable width debarked tree limb) to prevent frostbitten toes.

You *may* be ok with a 2" roost, but you will fairly certainly be ok with a 4+" one.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I use a 2x4 with the wide side up for a roost. Last winter we had negative 25 F without wind-chill and no frost bitten toes.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I like the 2"x4" idea, too. Your clucks can sit on it without having to grip, and they can settle their bodies down on their entire foot and toes to keep them warm if needed.

6. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I'm completing my coop this weekend to get my 6 1/2 wk olds out and I plan on making a ladder type roost with 2 x 4's - long side flat.

I have a mini roost in their brooder now that is the 2 x 4 and they love it.'

I noticed when I had the smaller apple tree branch in there, they had to balance on it but on the 2 x 4, they settle right down over their feet and sleep.

7. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for asking this question! I was about to ask the same thing. One book I read said 2". the other said 4" so I was not sure. Now I can tell my DH that we need to use 2x4s. I am getting on him to get this coop started!!

8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG] Glad I decided to check here before putting in the roosts!

9. Raleigh

Raleigh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    I'm building my first coop and used a few fallen tree limbs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by