Roost Wrangling

corriemartin

Songster
May 6, 2020
Lawrence, KS
I have 11 seventeen week old pullets in my chicken tractor. The roosts are step-wise on a ladder-like thing that I can hook up to the ceiling when I move the tractor every morning. Each roost is 4'4" wide. The problem is that 11 of the 10 pullets are constantly wrangling for position on the top roost (1 seems resigned to second rung, and doesn't participate). The ones that get there first and hunker down have a reasonable amount of space, but others are standing in the tiny spaces between the roosting ones, or teetering on the end, and there's constant squabbling. I haven't watched after it's completely dark, and haven't gotten out early enough before dawn to see how they worked it out, but do I need to do something else. I could conceivably make the top roost about a foot longer and still have it fit in the space, but no more than that. I know that ten pullets need more than 52 inches of roost space, but they are all determined to have the top (there are 3 lower ones). Can I trust them to work it out, or do I need to do a redesign? I'm afraid that if someone gets ousted after it's full dark, they won't be able to see to get back up even on one of the lower roosts.

I'm afraid that if someone gets ousted after it's full dark, they won't be able to see to get back up even on one of the lower roosts.

And the downside of that is ..................... ? Personally I don't see an issue with that. They are as safe on the ground as on the roost. When they are chicks they sleep on the coop floor until they start to roost. My broody hens keep their chicks on the coop floor until they take them to the roosts. I would expect them to get back up, at least part way.

That happens with ladder roosts when the top rung isn't long enough for all of them. People have been using ladder roosts for centuries, you can see them in paintings hundreds of years old. If you want to try extending that roost or even putting up a second one the same height go for it. But I think you are worrying about something that you don't need to.

I'm afraid that if someone gets ousted after it's full dark, they won't be able to see to get back up even on one of the lower roosts.

And the downside of that is ..................... ? Personally I don't see an issue with that. They are as safe on the ground as on the roost. When they are chicks they sleep on the coop floor until they start to roost. My broody hens keep their chicks on the coop floor until they take them to the roosts. I would expect them to get back up, at least part way.

That happens with ladder roosts when the top rung isn't long enough for all of them. People have been using ladder roosts for centuries, you can see them in paintings hundreds of years old. If you want to try extending that roost or even putting up a second one the same height go for it. But I think you are worrying about something that you don't need to.
Fair enough.

In my old coop, ladder roost, and NO ONE ever roosted on the lower roosts, they just used them to go up to the top roost. My new coop, and I have several roosts, all at the same height.. and they ALL want to roost on the east side of the coop. I think Ridgrunner is right, let them figure it out.

I'd let them figure it out themselves. I have 6 hens and 4 pullets wanting to use the top roost (66") and as the babies grow bigger it's getting progressively tighter. If someone gets forced off onto a lower roost, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom