Roost

28 inches deep...without seeing what you are talking about...I would say only one roost maybe two.

My board is 12' long x 24" deep. I have 1 roost bar in the middle, all the poop stays on the tray. Some of them roost along the front of the board, but they all face front, again keeping all the poop on the board.

2018 6 weeks old roosting with the big girls.jpg

My board is 12' long x 24" deep. I have 1 roost bar in the middle, all the poop stays on the tray. Some of them roost along the front of the board, but they all face front, again keeping all the poop on the board.
Same here.
But the roost centered over 24" works well, mine is just high enough(8") to reach under to clean with a short handled hoe. Lower roost is less chance of 'overshoots'.
full

Mine is 7 feet in both directions meeting in the corner. It is 24 inches wide. The roost is 8 inches above the poop board and runs directly through the middle. I have not had anything on my walls yet since the girls moved in, about 3-4 months ago. The floor rarely has poop on it, maybe once a week, because they usually poop outside during the day, pooping only on the poop boards during the night. I use pdz on the poop boards. There is no odor in my coop unless someone has just dropped one. The whole thing is about waist high so there is no bending while scooping. I can't even tell you how much I love this method and the measurements. It's perfect.
20191031_182020.jpg

There is one of these on both sides. 40 inches wide and 28 inches deep. With 8 chickens could I do one bar over each and that would be enough?

View attachment 1975769
One would be good, for reasons we mentioned earlier.
They may roost on front edge board too or even right on the sand,
rather than use the one at other end of coop as they like to be 'together'.

upload_2019-12-6_9-27-40.png

Back
Top Bottom