Roost

You are correct once they get so heavy try can't fly anymore.
I have never seen a 30+ pound heritage White Holland or Standard Bronze tom get more than 3 or 4 feet off the ground. From raising 6 breeds here, some heavy some light I would guess-ti-mate the the flying weight limit at somewhere just over 20 pounds.

The Midget White, Beltsville Small White and Royal Palm hens are less than 20 pounds and they don't have any problem getting airborne. The toms are right at 20 or just a little more and they used to go to the roof of their range roost which is about 6 to 8 feet high. Now they only go about 3 feet to the actual roost part.

The Bourbon Red, White Holland and Bronze hens can jump/fly but it's rare.
The toms of those breeds have roots instead of feet. smile

Steve in NC

Well our toms (Bronze,Bourbon & B Spanish) are over 30lbs and they all can fly up to a roost of 6-8 feet easily.

Our pump house eave is at least 9 ft and all of them have been on there when the dog thinks it is time to herd them and they don't want to.

During the winter they all fly up in the alder trees here and the lowest branch is 8-10 ft off the ground and they all make it up and down every day.

Our toms when locked up at night and then out the next morning can fly up to 50-60' at about 2-3' off the ground and the hens a little higher.

When not in pens and locked up all the time and they get the exercise daily they need to fly they can and they do at the heavier weights, but if penned up all the time they will not be in shape to and they probably can't do it, especially if they are not use to doing it.

Wes Harp in WA​

Quote:
Well our toms (Bronze,Bourbon & B Spanish) are over 30lbs and they all can fly up to a roost of 6-8 feet easily.

Our pump house eave is at least 9 ft and all of them have been on there when the dog thinks it is time to herd them and they don't want to.

During the winter they all fly up in the alder trees here and the lowest branch is 8-10 ft off the ground and they all make it up and down every day.

Our toms when locked up at night and then out the next morning can fly up to 50-60' at about 2-3' off the ground and the hens a little higher.

When not in pens and locked up all the time and they get the exercise daily they need to fly they can and they do at the heavier weights, but if penned up all the time they will not be in shape to and they probably can't do it, especially if they are not use to doing it.

Wes Harp in WA

I don't suppose you have any pics of that either?
smile.png

Steve in NC

I agree I with the birds being in shape to fly. my old tom was a mix with bronze and black spanish and he flew all the time and was 30 pounds or more. I've had a wild tom before that had never been out of a pen a he was very weak in his wings. He had a hard time getting ten foot. Then I've had big old toms that are in shape and when they really want to too fly really good.

I agree I with the birds being in shape to fly. my old tom was a mix with bronze and black spanish and he flew all the time and was 30 pounds or more. I've had a wild tom before that had never been out of a pen a he was very weak in his wings. He had a hard time getting ten foot. Then I've had big old toms that are in shape and when they really want to too fly really good.

Yeah a couple years ago we got a hen that was penned up all the time and one day she was trying to get up with the other birds and she couldn't make it and she tried for weeks and finally she made it and after that she had no problems. Mean while all my 30+ lb toms were up there and her only weighing 16-18 lbs couldn't because she was not in shape.

*edited to remove flaming**

Last edited by a moderator:
If you scare a heritage breed turkey and it's afraid for it's life you'll be surpised of how good they can fly when they really want to or need to.

Most people are very proud of their birds and their pens and roosts, We all love seeing pics of poults, and a whole big flock of free ranging turkeys.

Steve in NC

**edited to remove response to flaming**

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought my tom was just being lazy. But now that you mention it, when he jumps off the fence (where he goes only to roost) he often seems to hit the ground hard... he kind of stumbles and looks as if his belly hits the ground. I just attributed it to him being graceless.
I love the way hens look before they fly... if it's windy at all, they keep turning back and forth and putting their tail up, like an airplane testing it's wingparts and rudder before takeoff.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom