Rooster acting strange

kelleyayers1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 29, 2017
norman oklahoma
Up until now our rooster has not had any problems and acting completely normal. This morning when we let him out of the coop, he started running around frantically. He acted like something was on him or chasing him around. All of our hens are acting completely normal, he is the only one doing this. After running around for a bit he stuffs himself in a small space and just stands there for a while. Then he continues running around again. He is being kept inside so he doesn't hurt himself worse by smashing against the pen like he was doing. His poop looks normal and he can walk just fine. The back of his comb looks like it is turning a dark purple or black color. When he was outside his pupils kept dilating rapidly, but that seems to have stopped now that he is inside. He seems completely fine now that he is inside, but if we take him back outside he starts running around again. He is eating and drinking just fine.

I’m sorry I can’t offer any advise on his problem, but I just wanted to comment about the comb color. My rooster (1 year old) goes through comb color changes throughout the day, especially in the morning. The back of his comb is blackish or purplish in the mornings and usually reddens up as the day goes on. He’s not bothered by it and his circulation is fine. After some internet research I came across an article that suggested the testosterone was responsible for the darkening comb. Just wanted to mention that, since the dark comb may or may not have anything to do with him running around. I hope he’s ok and back to normal soon!

It sounds to me as if he REALLY does have something on him. He may not show the odd behavior because you have him confined and can’t run around. Take a GOOD look at him. Head to toe. Right down to his skin. Having someone with a flashlight would be good. You also could place him on something white, a towel. To see better if little critters fall off.

My youngest rooster was acting cray cray a while back, He would see me coming and go absolutely berserk hollering and running away from me. It was like he was possessed or something. He'd run way up into the woods half way up the hill screaming his lungs out. It was like the other roosters had told him I was coming to chop his head off. He's always been a little strange compared to the others, but he does have a great tremolo in his crow.

His comb seems to be returning to its normal red, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. He is trying to sleep but keeps shaking his head which is waking him up. If I touch the base of his tail he starts having a fuss and tries to move away. He grabbed my finger and tried to attack me so I would stop touching his tail. I'm going to get a flashlight and see if anything is on him.

How old is your rooster? How long have you had him?

I know my teen roosters will act crazy like that, fearful of anything and everything. It is because they have misbehaved and got put in their place by the rest of the flock.

Thoroughly demoted, they do not know their place in the flock and run around startled at the slightest commotion.

The other thought is a heavy infestation of mites driving him nuts. Deplumming mites can really make a bird miserable.

The flashlight hopefully will show if something is amiss.
LofMc

Found the problem. While I was petting him earlier I thought I felt a lump on his tail. I looked and sure enough he has a huge lump on both sides of the base of his tail. It looks slightly bigger on one side compared to the other. Any ideas what this would be? Tumor, cyst, ect?

Attachments

• IMG_20180816_123713.jpg
    IMG_20180816_123713.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 52
Greetings kelleyayers1,

Maybe it's a bot fly? I have read about horses, and rabbits, too, displaying similar behavior, trying to escape the larva that is burrowed under the skin. :confused:

The photo isn't clear enough to see the lump.

Sorry, I am not much help...

God Bless :)

Sounds like he's sensitive to sunlight - When he was outside his pupils kept dilating rapidly, but that seems to have stopped now that he is inside. He seems completely fine now that he is inside, but if we take him back outside he starts running around again.

My first thought was Mareks (read it can affect eyes), now you've found that lump but can't really make it out.

@Lady of McCamley @Ravynscroft Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom