Rooster acting weird...

I do not agree with physically holding a rooster down. Or any animal for that matter. I think the idea came from people that used it to show dogs who the alpha was. But dogs do that to each other, and roosters do not.

I have one that does try to cause trouble, and if I don't give him a sign that I felt him after that, he usually is finished for the night. Just takes practice knowing when to expect a peck and not making any reaction. Then I pick him up and talk for a bit before I set him down.
Thank you. I was going to say the same thing; also no need to pet him either. He is interested In one thing and one thing only, and that is reproducing with every hen all day long. This is usually where someone has to butt in and talk about their tame lap rooster, but sorry in my opinion a lap rooster is a worthless rooster. You want him to have the air of confidence and bravado so he does his job correctly.... but just like a dog, he needs to know that you’re boss. Don’t let him circle you - hold your arms out like the “bigger cock” and walk at him until he gets out of your way. Sometimes I even make rooster noises at mine (who cares what the neighbors think lol). Don’t ever act like you’re intimidated, and petting him will just make him think you’re preening him like a submissive hen.

He's trying to say he's the boss. Don't let him hurt you and don' show fear. Remember your big and in charge. Also if you want him tamer spending a minute holding and petting him each day can't hurt.
Petting a rooster is a bad idea. It’s best to just let a rooster be a rooster, and petting will confuse him into thinking he has won and you are now submissively preening him.

Thank you. I was going to say the same thing; also no need to pet him either. He is interested In one thing and one thing only, and that is reproducing with every hen all day long. This is usually where someone has to butt in and talk about their tame lap rooster, but sorry in my opinion a lap rooster is a worthless rooster. You want him to have the air of confidence and bravado so he does his job correctly.... but just like a dog, he needs to know that you’re boss. Don’t let him circle you - hold your arms out like the “bigger cock” and walk at him until he gets out of your way. Sometimes I even make rooster noises at mine (who cares what the neighbors think lol). Don’t ever act like you’re intimidated, and petting him will just make him think you’re preening him like a submissive hen.
Ok, thank you

He is about 7 months now, but he is usually very nice. Maybe in the morning he is just upset or hungry. He has been doing it for the past 2 weeks or maybe a month.
He is trying to dominate you. He is at that age where he is becoming mature. The sweet gentle cockerels oftentimes change around this age, as it's happened with a few of my cockerels (now roosters). You really have to show a certain confidence whenever you have cockerels. There are several articles on this site that are helpful and gives you some ideas to try. Some guys are just human aggressive and can't be rehabilitated, so keep that in mind. I would not trust this bird and encourage you to always keep an eye on him. Be very careful if any young children are around him. I wish you the best. There are some genuinely gentle guys and some aren't. Hopefully if you address this quickly, you may see good results, but don't be surprised if his behavior worsens, especially whenever Spring rolls around

Nugget never does it past 10:00 AM, he loves to follow me around. He does not just run away from people who scare him, but he doesn't really hurt them either.

Just wanted to add since it sounds like it may have been read wrong, when I hold my male after he tries to hurt me, I don't pet him. I pick him up like a foot ball and just hold him until he stops trying to leave. I finish my chores in his pen with one hand and when I'm done I'll set him down.

He's maturing, and doesn't respect your space, and will escalate his attacks unless you can redirect his behaviors, which works sometimes, but not always.
If you have small children, or visitors, he can't be around them at all, until this is resolved.
There are good articles about managing roosters on this site: @Beekissed, @BantyChooks , and @Shadrach 's come to mind. Also @centrarchid . Different points of view, different flock management styles, all useful.
When starting with chickens, it's often best to have only hens that first year, to gain experience, and have mature hens to help manage any future cockerels. He thinks he's hot stuff, and probably thinks that you are a flock member. YOU AREN'T!!! You are the giant who brings food, and it's not smart to attack the giant bringing food.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom