Rooster acting weird...

aBirdNerd

Songster
May 22, 2020
Every morning when I come to open the chicken coop my rooster hops out and marches around me. I believe this is what they do to attract mates, he also follows me around and pecks me, hard. He also tries to jump on me, is there any way to get him to stop?

He's trying to say he's the boss. Don't let him hurt you and don' show fear. Remember your big and in charge. Also if you want him tamer spending a minute holding and petting him each day can't hurt.

When he walks out of the coop, try holding him down with both hands, chest to the ground, until he stops struggling. Do this every day and see if the problems slow down or stop.

^^Not bad advice shows that your the dominate one but I'd worry he'd see this as two agressive torwards him.

Sorry for bad spelling

I do not agree with physically holding a rooster down. Or any animal for that matter. I think the idea came from people that used it to show dogs who the alpha was. But dogs do that to each other, and roosters do not.

I have one that does try to cause trouble, and if I don't give him a sign that I felt him after that, he usually is finished for the night. Just takes practice knowing when to expect a peck and not making any reaction. Then I pick him up and talk for a bit before I set him down.

How old is he? Is he a cockerel (under 1 year old)? How long has he been doing this?
He is about 7 months now, but he is usually very nice. Maybe in the morning he is just upset or hungry. He has been doing it for the past 2 weeks or maybe a month.

Back
Top Bottom