Rooster adoption

lesysteme

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
Hi there,

Very new to the forum so please forgive me if this is in the wrong section.

A neighbor on our street has a rooster in their flock - we are in NYC and this is obviously against city regulations - apart from waking me up everyday at sunrise but thats another story

So trying to be proactive here and find some info or ask if anyone needs to adopt a Rooster - or how one would humanely go about re-locating it to outside of the city.

Ive called a couple of animal sanctuary farms but they are full.

Apart from being an animal lover - I have no knowledge of any of this - so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

You can try to post it here in the Forum titled Buy-Sell-Trade. Another option is Craigslist, but be careful of cockfighting operations who will use him for a "sparring partner" even if he is not a fighter. We did find a home for our rooster in CA through Craigslist. I went out and met the people first to see the place just to be sure. Good Luck!

PigeonLady

We have. They want to simply slaughter the rooster. Just trying to find some other options

Last edited:
That is our Option B if we can't come up with any other options

We're just trying to find a more humane way to either find a new home for the rooster - but if all else fails, yes the owner will just slaughter him.

Thanks 1Teacherchick! We'll try that and also keep those great tips in mind - would not have known that - thanks a lot!

Cheers!

If you're in NYC you're not too far from CT which is where The Chicken Chick is at!! She's on FB and she's helped folks rehome roos before!!

Just search FB for the Chicken Chick or ADozenGirls and then look around for rehoming roosters.

The owner shouldn't really slaughter the roo unless:

1) He is OK with turning it into dinner

2) He knows how to do it properly

3) City ordinance doesn't prohibit it.

Good luck! Hope it's possible to rehome the rooster. Meanwhite, he's a free, 100% reliable alarm clock....set at sunrise! LOL. Sunrise tomorrow will be a minute or two later than it was today....

That's pro-active and kind of you to look for an option other than the dinner table, but he is someone else's bird, so it's ultimately up to them.
idunno.gif

Yes - but they are open to other options if we can find them

What we'd really appreciate is if you had some info about adoption. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom