Rooster Advice Please!

I really appreciate your advice. I never considered the good point that the longer I keep them away from the girls the potential for them to be wild once they are in there. I do let them free range for a couple hours a day after I am home from work. I noticed they like to check out the girls in that pen but so far they just watch them for a little bit and keep on their marry way.
Well if they aren't having conniption fits on the other side of the fence from seeing the hens, that I think bodes well!

They have shown really good behavior so far. I will go for a walk with them on the property as soon as I get home and my brahma always makes sure hes ahead of me.

Keep in mind that this will be their first spring as mature birds and in my experience that first spring is when the young males are hardest on the hens. If you're going to try holding off until they're more mature I'd wait for later in the year.

Keep in mind that this will be their first spring as mature birds and in my experience that first spring is when the young males are hardest on the hens. If you're going to try holding off until they're more mature I'd wait for later in the year.
Thank you! I appreciate your good advice.

I kind of threw that out there quick, while in my truck getting ready to go into work, but it's been my experience. If you had a mature rooster and ideally some older hens to keep the young guy in line it's not bad, but introducing an older cockerel/ young rooster to same age females in spring is not ideal. It's been mentioned on here often and I know it's not the situation that you're in, but to keep an only female flock for a few years before adding a cockerel (or for that matter to add an older, mature rooster and skip the young phase). Either approach is less stressful for all involved. That doesn't help you much now, but file it away for later. You can try picking the less dominant of them and integrating him now. If that works out get rid of the other and then hope things go smooth in the spring or just rock the bachelor pad for a year and then revisit your options and try integrating then. Or lose both and wait till next spring and add a few young pullets and a cockerel to the existing flock and let them grow up with the older hens to keep them in line. There ARE options, but try and pick one that's as easy on you and your birds as possible.

I kind of threw that out there quick, while in my truck getting ready to go into work, but it's been my experience. If you had a mature rooster and ideally some older hens to keep the young guy in line it's not bad, but introducing an older cockerel/ young rooster to same age females in spring is not ideal. It's been mentioned on here often and I know it's not the situation that you're in, but to keep an only female flock for a few years before adding a cockerel (or for that matter to add an older, mature rooster and skip the young phase). Either approach is less stressful for all involved. That doesn't help you much now, but file it away for later. You can try picking the less dominant of them and integrating him now. If that works out get rid of the other and then hope things go smooth in the spring or just rock the bachelor pad for a year and then revisit your options and try integrating then. Or lose both and wait till next spring and add a few young pullets and a cockerel to the existing flock and let them grow up with the older hens to keep them in line. There ARE options, but try and pick one that's as easy on you and your birds as possible.
Thank you so much for taking the time to really walk me through the different options I have. Right now since removing the coop started off much more peaceful. They enjoyed dust bathing, weren't always being chased, and head feathers are growing back nicely. I do see that the roosters kept some order between the girls. I see a lot more bickering between the hens now then before but that might be because they didnt have time to pick at eachother because there was always a rooster hovering over their every move. As much as I would have liked to have a rooster with the ladies, I think having the two remaining boys stay separate is the direction I am going to go. The boys will visit the girls during the day but I feel like them not having the integration with the females has kept them docile.

There's nothing wrong with that approach. Do what works for your birds and your setup. If you have any questions there is a wealth of knowledge here (far beyond mine)

Back
Top Bottom