Rooster Advice

mamamage

Songster
Jan 25, 2018
South Carolina
Good morning! I have an EE roo who i absolutely adore. hes great with kids and anyone that comes on our property! hes also a great guy to my hens and is always on the lookout for danger, and food for them! which is why im so torn on what to do about him tearing up my girl's backs. hes just one guy over 16 hens!!! since we've gotten him (about 7 months ago) hes torn up nearly all of my hen's wings...they all have a little bald spot on each wing on the top. some are worse than others but theyre all getting there. he also has his favorite few which look worse. im not sure if it has anything to do with the hens molting? what should i do about this, hen saddles dont cover where my ladies are going bald :/ i really would hate to get rid of this guy, i love him so much. thanks for any advice!

Good morning! I have an EE roo who i absolutely adore. hes great with kids and anyone that comes on our property! hes also a great guy to my hens and is always on the lookout for danger, and food for them! which is why im so torn on what to do about him tearing up my girl's backs. hes just one guy over 16 hens!!! since we've gotten him (about 7 months ago) hes torn up nearly all of my hen's wings...they all have a little bald spot on each wing on the top. some are worse than others but theyre all getting there. he also has his favorite few which look worse. im not sure if it has anything to do with the hens molting? what should i do about this, hen saddles dont cover where my ladies are going bald :/ i really would hate to get rid of this guy, i love him so much. thanks for any advice!
Time for a pedicure. Also blunt his spurs a little. I use a heavy duty pair of dog nail trimmers and a heavy duty file for this work.
Unfortunately, the hens will still show wear. As long as their skin is not damaged or getting sunburned, it is only cosmetic. The rooster will always have his few favorites no matter the number of hens in his harem. They will always show signs of wear.

We'll, there's also the chicken apron...
il_fullxfull.927024697_f9uw.jpg

Could be he is overly amorous, and/or has rotten technique, and/or hens just have weak/brittle feathers that are easily broken.

Agrees, as long as there are no wounds....it probably bothers you way more than it bothers them.
A molt will replace all those feathers and they'll be gorgeous again soon.

Back
Top Bottom