Rooster age & crowing questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MomMommyMamma, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have 5 roosters out of my 17 chicks. We have listed them for free on Craigslist and would prefer to rehome them, however, we'll put them in freezer camp if we need to. My question is the timing. We live in an unzoned, unincorporated area but we do have neighbors and I do NOT want to begin any disharmony with them. One in particular is quite grumpy about, well, apparently everything. So, we are leaving for vacation in early Sept for 2 wks. During that time the chicks will be about 16 wks old. I am trying to decide if we need to be sure they are dealt with before we leave (we have a housesitter who will be caring for the birds), or are they not likely to be noisy crowers by that age?

2. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    They will/should be noisily crowing by that age.

3. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    We got two roos out of our batch of 6. The banty started crowing at about 12 weeks, the other one is 19 weeks and still doesn't make a sound. I would probably get rid of them, just to keep the peace. Is your housesitter willing to get rid of them if you wait?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by