Rooster age for fertile eggs

I have a white Leghorn rooster that is almost exactly the same age as yours. He was doing the deed with my year old Wheaten Marans. I put the egg in the incubator with some mail order eggs. Here is the result. He even has the feathered legs, which his mother does not.
88326_mj.jpg

Awww, how cute! I'm encouraged!! When I went out to collect eggs just now I left 3 eggs under my broody hen (she sits in the nest box all the time and the other hens hop in alongside her and lay their eggs so she ends up with several under her every day lol) . I hope I am as lucky as you with a good one. I'll candle them in a week and see if anything is growing.

I have a broody hen and she keeps getting confused which nest! So we put 40 eggs in incubator and none hatched. My 2 roosters are suppose to be six months, disappointed! Our incubator is brand new the temp has stayed between 99 and 100 and we didn't open it the whole 25 days!

Last edited:
I have a broody hen and she keeps getting confused which nest! So we put 40 eggs in incubator and none hatched. My 2 roosters are suppose to be six months, disappointed! Our incubator is brand new the temp has stayed between 99 and 100 and we didn't open it the whole 25 days!

Have you cracked any eggs and examined the germinal disc to determine if you are getting fertile eggs? Not hatching could be due to failure in incubation, not necessarily just eggs not being fertile. You say you didn't open the incubator at all - were you using an automatic turner and, if so, when did you turn it off? Presumably, not opening the incubator means you did not candle at any point of incubation? What was the humidity during the incubation and lockdown phases? 6 months is fairly young for roosters with regards to fertility.

Any help determining if this is fertile would be great, i noticed a bit of a bullseye but am new to this, Thanks!

My Cochin Bantam Cockerel is 4 months old. He has been mounting my hens since he was 3 months old. Don't know if he is fertile, but he sure is trying. And he has been crowing and acting like a rooster since he was 1.75 months old.

My four month old silver penciled Rock is fertile. Definitely depends on breed. Hes already HUGE.He makes my Barred Rock ladies look small!

my Serama is 5 months and just chirps like a chick still and a few of the other hens act as if his a chick... please hurry up and mature! lol

Back
Top Bottom