Rooster among the hens feed question

When his roosters died, did he have them necropsied to determine the cause, find out how many of the kidney segments were atrophied? Or did he just shrug and say "oh well". :idunno

Some lines of some breeds tolerate extremely high mineral levels, others do not. But urolithiasis and visceral gout from excess calcium is well documented, even in pre lay pullets on egg farms.
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/avian-urolithiasis-visceral-gout-an-overview
A couple of them died from predators and some of them died from old age.

As a good flock guardian, he should let the hens eat first while he stands guard.
Why are you worried about his protein intake? Actually fully grown roosters need much less protein than hens. They are fine with about 13.5% protein. They aren't pumping out a lump of protein every day like the hens are so they don't need as much.
Your treats of berries, fruits and grains are possibly
lowering the protein intake of all your birds.
I don't over-treat them, but didn't know about less protein req's. Good to know. I missed that somehow in my research. Thank you! Yes. He's a fabulous roo. Best I've had yet!

Rooster to hen ratio: It depends on the breed. The lighter more active breeds, like Leghorns, can handle up to 12 hens, the larger and mellow only 6. However, there are exceptions: My big, mellow Bielefelder rooster is rated at being able to cover 12 hens. My Barred Rock only 10. The Black Jersey Giant can handle 9. It's best to look up what your particular breed rooster can handle. Cackle Hatchery has this info with each breed under the sidebar Breed Facts. https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/barred-rocks/
Funny about the roo to hen ratio. He has 4 faves, the rest just kinda don't get bothered. Not sure of his criteria, he is the strong silent type, lol. Thanks for the info!

That's so true. My 1-year-old Bielefelder is the best gentleman rooster I've ever had, to the girls and to me. He has 13 pullets, one more than this breed should be able to cover. But now that my Barred Rock cockerel has started trying to mount the girls(they won't let him), there's no sharing, no ratio, no sirree! I have to rehome the beautiful, friendly BR because his life is a sad solitary one, living as an outcast, barely allowed to snatch food, never getting to breed or crow without getting chased away or pecked.
Man. I wish I had a barred rock to go with my Plymouth rock barred pullets. They are hard to find here!

Yes, unless you order a batch of 25 straight run, they are just not for sale at any of the farm stores individually. Lucky for me, I had learned how to sex them and found a chick without dark on its legs and with a larger, more uneven spot on its head in a batch of supposed pullets. He's gorgeous, with very orange legs. But I like the Bielefelder better. I'd sure give him to you if you lived in Arizona! But give Craigslist a try....
20210820_150821.jpg

Back
Top Bottom