Rooster and drake killing each other!

The only way you can keep them separated is if you have a lot of space or you keep them penned up all the time, which comes with its own set of issues.

So reality dictates the numbers. If you don't have the space, you can't have the numbers. Pens must be of adequate size when unconfined ranging isn't possible.

Ducks are not messy if you have natural water sources. We have had multiple roosters together for a very long time, and if you give them enough space and take care of them properly, you do not have as much trouble as everyone claims you do.

You obviously haven't noticed the number of posts that exist on this forum in relation to injuries and stress that occurs from keeping multiple roosters/ different avian species together. After more than 30 years of learning how to take care of a flock properly, I won't argue with what I've witnessed or experts I've learned from.

Diseases are a chance, but here we do not have any reported. Chickens also get diseases, countless deadly ones, from the dirt, worms, and native birds. Again, the only way you can stop this is if you house them like commercial poultry operations. I would rather someone free ranged multiple species than had a completely sterile environment for their chickens. Universities also promote commercial operations. But we are not talking about diseases.

Being aware of climatic and environmental conditions which determine the existence of particular diseases/ parasites is how flock health is managed. Suggesting the only alternative to free range is a "commercial operation" is quite ignorant. Adequate range space can be achieved without resorting to a "commercial operation", and no, Universities commonly address backyard flock management:

University of Kentucky: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/home.html

North Carolina State: http://poultry.ces.ncsu.edu/small-flock-management-resources/

UC Davis: http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/sm_flock.htm

University of Florida: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/an239

etcetera, etcetera....

The only way you can keep them separated is if you have a lot of space or you keep them penned up all the time, which comes with its own set of issues. Ducks are not messy if you have natural water sources. We have had multiple roosters together for a very long time, and if you give them enough space and take care of them properly, you do not have as much trouble as everyone claims you do. Diseases are a chance, but here we do not have any reported. Chickens also get diseases, countless deadly ones, from the dirt, worms, and native birds. Again, the only way you can stop this is if you house them like commercial poultry operations. I would rather someone free ranged multiple species than had a completely sterile environment  for their chickens. Universities also promote commercial operations. But we are not talking about diseases.
I only have two ponds! Is that enough water to keep them from being messy!

If they spend most of their time on the pond.

I am not sure why you are trying to argue with me, but I am looking at this in a realistic manner to this person. You are suggesting he/she separates the ducks and the chickens in large pens. That is typically unrealistic and expensive to do if you already have the birds and do not want to get rid of them, assuming someone else will take care of them better. And I have many boys, way many more than they say you can have, and have had ones live to be years old and did not have issues because I take care of them the best I can, trying to make THEM happy with plenty of space and respecting each male. Sometimes that does not always work with the best care. Many posts complaining of male issues did many things wrong fro what I read of their situations.

I am not sure why you are trying to argue with me, but I am looking at this in a realistic manner to this person. You are suggesting he/she separates the ducks and the chickens in large pens. That is typically unrealistic and expensive to do if you already have the birds and do not want to get rid of them, assuming someone else will take care of them better. And I have many boys, way many more than they say you can have, and have had ones live to be years old and did not have issues because I take care of them the best I can, trying to make THEM happy with plenty of space and respecting each male. Sometimes that does not always work with the best care. Many posts complaining of male issues did many things wrong fro what I read of their situations.
Yeah I don't have enough land to seperate them!

I am not sure why you are trying to argue with me, but I am looking at this in a realistic manner to this person. I take care of them the best I can, trying to make THEM happy with plenty of space and respecting each male. Sometimes that does not always work with the best care. Many posts complaining of male issues did many things wrong fro what I read of their situations.
No argument at all. You contradicted my sound advice to the OP who has a drake and a rooster fighting because they are not separate.
That is good you take care of your birds, but even as you stated, it does not work out. The common sense and preventative approach is best. If you don't keep roosters together, there will be no injuries from fighting. The same goes for Drakes, Ganders, Peacocks, etc.

How many birds do you have, and how much space? How many ducks/drakes and roosters/hens you have plus a description of your setup may help us understand what may be going on.

I have 6 ducks and 1 drake and 2 roosters (they don't fight) I have plenty of land for my small flock but outside that area my dogs are around and aren't trust worthy yet of having chickens around them!

eat the duck jk

i dont know what to do about that i didnt know they would fight maybe if you get a bigger rooster it would hit the duck and make him afraid to fight it
like a game rooster

It's really weird there is no sign of ferocious behaviour! So I might leave them but any sign of trouble and one of them will have to be my dinner!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I love both my animals but I don't think I'll be able to get rid of them!

Back
Top Bottom