Rooster and flock members targeting one hen

What's the breed of the cockerel?

If he does any damage to any hens it's only one hen that challenged him not all of them. So don't think he will hurt your other hens, he won't.

What's the breed of the cockerel?

If he does any damage to any hens it's only one hen that challenged him not all of them. So don't think he will hurt your other hens, he won't.
He's an Easter Egger. He has a beard, so I know he has Americauna in his bloodline somewhere.

We've never owned a rooster before, so we have been keeping a close eye on him for any issues. Because he's younger than a majority of our hens, they taught him some manners. He's not shown any aggression towards humans. We had hopes he'd grow into a decent roo.

He's an Easter Egger. He has a beard, so I know he has Americauna in his bloodline somewhere.

We've never owned a rooster before, so we have been keeping a close eye on him for any issues. Because he's younger than a majority of our hens, they taught him some manners. He's not shown any aggression towards humans. We had hopes he'd grow into a decent roo.
You will know he's temperament at 1 1/2 years old towards you and the hens. So if you have patience and space for him in the meantime.

Most mature rooster are good at what they do and generally human friendly. I had mine coming in his 4th year, he's my sole stock for he's breed so I give him extra care and attention. Plus I hatch every year.

I had an experience just like yours with one of my three year old ideals. This particular hen almost seems to have a fear of roosters and when we got a new rooster it didn't help. At first she got away with rejecting him, but then he started chasing her and it got so bad that she would hide in a tree all day until I would come out to check on her. I started isolating both hen and rooster in turn from the flock and things had begun to become normal until we went on vacation and came back to this....
nevil 1.jpg
nevil 2.jpg
nevil 3.jpg

I honestly didn't know if she was going to make it, but she is a tough little girl! We found out from our friend what actually happened and short of the story is that our rooster chased her so much he started ripping the skin on her head and as soon as the other hens saw that they all started pecking her too. Even after her head wound healed she could not stand the sight of our rooster and either she or he had to be seperated. Usually we would do half the day for her and half the day for him with the flock. Any way I'm sharing this because I want you to be cautious if your rooster starts acting like this toward your hen. And I don't think it's just my rooster, he is a gentlemen to all the other hens, but I guess roosters can just be that way sometimes. Just be extra careful I wouldn't want anyone to have to experience anything like this.

I had an experience just like yours with one of my three year old ideals. This particular hen almost seems to have a fear of roosters and when we got a new rooster it didn't help. At first she got away with rejecting him, but then he started chasing her and it got so bad that she would hide in a tree all day until I would come out to check on her. I started isolating both hen and rooster in turn from the flock and things had begun to become normal until we went on vacation and came back to this....View attachment 3699054View attachment 3699055View attachment 3699056
I honestly didn't know if she was going to make it, but she is a tough little girl! We found out from our friend what actually happened and short of the story is that our rooster chased her so much he started ripping the skin on her head and as soon as the other hens saw that they all started pecking her too. Even after her head wound healed she could not stand the sight of our rooster and either she or he had to be seperated. Usually we would do half the day for her and half the day for him with the flock. Any way I'm sharing this because I want you to be cautious if your rooster starts acting like this toward your hen. And I don't think it's just my rooster, he is a gentlemen to all the other hens, but I guess roosters can just be that way sometimes. Just be extra careful I wouldn't want anyone to have to experience anything like this.

Your poor hen! I'm so glad she made it!

We are definitely approaching this with caution. The aggression towards her the other day was unlike anything I've ever seen in my small flock, and it unnerved me.

Thank you for your warning and advice!

Any updates? I'm going through the same issue with a rooster of the same breed.

You do want to solve for peace in the flock. Flocks are not stagnant and are really constantly changing. Animal husbandry is making decisions for the flock, not individual birds.

So how is the flock with the rooster with this hen pulled out. Are they happy with him? If so, I would be tempted to keep that flock and either just keep this bird separated. With a hard molt, the hormones can really dive. What does her comb look like? If it is pale and almost grey, her hormones have dived, and that has a lot to do with pecking order. It may be that when she gets over the molt, she will be fine. But it also might be that she just does not fit with this flock.

However, if the cockerel picks a new victim, he is the problem. He should then be culled. If he is an asset to the flock without her, I would not be too quick to cull him for her. And I would definitely try separating him, and adding her to see the flocks reaction before making a decision.

My point is - be sure and look at the whole flocks behavior. It could be that you remove the cockerel, and she still won't be accepted in the flock.

Mrs K

You do want to solve for peace in the flock. Flocks are not stagnant and are really constantly changing. Animal husbandry is making decisions for the flock, not individual birds.

So how is the flock with the rooster with this hen pulled out. Are they happy with him? If so, I would be tempted to keep that flock and either just keep this bird separated. With a hard molt, the hormones can really dive. What does her comb look like? If it is pale and almost grey, her hormones have dived, and that has a lot to do with pecking order. It may be that when she gets over the molt, she will be fine. But it also might be that she just does not fit with this flock.

However, if the cockerel picks a new victim, he is the problem. He should then be culled. If he is an asset to the flock without her, I would not be too quick to cull him for her. And I would definitely try separating him, and adding her to see the flocks reaction before making a decision.

My point is - be sure and look at the whole flocks behavior. It could be that you remove the cockerel, and she still won't be accepted in the flock.

Mrs K
What Mrs.K said is exactly what happened to me with my flock. I knew my 1 easter egger was having some egg laying problems ( over sized, shell less) and my cockerel must of known she had health problems also as I caught him a few times trying to kill her, so in the fall I culled him. He was great with the rest of the flock and I learned that you need to weigh your options on what to do as time went on. After I culled the cockerel this pullet only laid 2 more eggs before she stopped for the winter and both were oversized (almost a small goose egg). Fast forward to a couple days ago I see her walking funny and she always, walked funny before and after she laid, and that afternoon I found what appears to be a lash egg ( I have a post called look what my poor girl laid). So in the end I wish I would have been in not such a hurry to cull my cockerel over a hen with health issues.

So I have an update, along with a weird question.

I've kept them separate from each other, the EE roo and the Delaware hen. They both interact with the flock, Noone is 100% isolated. I have a screen divider set in the coop. So it's been fine so far. Everyone free ranges nicely together and the two just avoid each other in general when out and about.

So as for my question...the Delaware hen steps on my pullets, like a rooster would. She's definitely a she. I've seen her lay eggs. We have a flock of 8 laying hens/pullets and I've been getting 8 eggs daily. I am just at a lost to what is going on. 😕
My Google searches give me contradicting information.

Back
Top Bottom