Rooster and flock members targeting one hen

TheFugitivePen

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Eastern Tennessee
This summer, we ordered four chicks and received an additional surprise cockerel. Our new pullets and cockerel are now seven months old and integrated with our existing flock of one-year-old Black Australorps.

One of our more dominant hens never warmed up to our cockerel. She adamantly refuses his attempts and, instead, mounts the lower hens and pullets herself (she's done this since she was a teenager). Recently, she started going through her first molt, and she got pretty scraggly.

We noticed that she was hiding in the nest boxes at night. I thought that this was due to her heavy molt (her right flight feathers were almost all gone), so I helped place her on her usual spot on the roost. However, my husband noticed she was back in the nest box the next day and, when he removed her, the rooster and some of the flock members chased and attacked her. She was absolutely terrified. She went from being a respected flock member to being hated. And we can't figure out what instigated this change.

We put her in isolation to give her a chance to calm down, observe her for signs of illness, and regrow some feathers in peace. She eseems very content in isolation, which is unusual. I've had to isolate her previously for an injury, and, as soon as she was conscious, she'd scream to be let out to free range and be with the flock. But this time? Not a peep. I can see no signs of illness--no eye or nose discharge, no lethargy, no bumblefoot, no pale or droopy comb (though it has several small, black scabs on it, I'm assuming from attacks), and her poop looks normal. Crop feels normal. She eats and drinks fine and scratches about happily out in the yard and eats treats out of my hand with gusto. If she's sick, I can't find any symptoms.

During the afternoons, we let her out to free range with the flock to help make re-integration a little smoother, as this has worked in the past with introducing new chicks or re-introducing a chicken who has been in isolation. However, this hen is on high alert, anxious, wired, and won't go near the other chickens. If she gets too close to the rooster or a certain hens, they chase her. I placed her in the run at bedtime just to observe (she seemed like she wanted in the run). If any other chicken entered the coop, she ran out and hid behind me. When others started roosting, she began to scream and panic. The rooster chased her out, body-slammed her, and would have attacked further if I had not intervened.

I know that chickens may turn on and attack sick flock members. Am I missing signs of an illness? What else should I be looking for?
Do chickens attack flock members going through a hard molt? But why would they attack this hen and not the others who also had a hard molt?
Or, because she mounts the other hens, does the rooster see her as a rival, and the flock has turned against her?

Is there anything I can do to help reintegrate her?

Upon occasion a cockerel will target a dominant hen that fights him or rejects his advances. The rest of the flock can pick up on this. This sometimes escalates to the point where the hen is killed unless the cockerel is removed from the flock.

Upon occasion a cockerel will target a dominant hen that fights him or rejects his advances. The rest of the flock can pick up on this. This sometimes escalates to the point where the hen is killed unless the cockerel is removed from the flock.
That's what I'm afraid of.

Initially, it wasn't a problem because none of the hens accepted his advances. They all refused him or body-slammed him off of unhappy hens he pounced on.

Recently, all of the hens have accepted him EXCEPT this one hen. And I know that one of the pullets chasing her seems to be the roo's favorite girl.

Ugh. I was really hoping we could make this rooster work, but I can't have a bully in my flock like that.

Thank you for your insight!

Is she one of the older flock or the younger ones? I’m wondering if maybe she is in fact a he.
Initially, I wondered if she was he because her wattles were HUGE compared to the other hens, but she's over a year old and we've caught her in the act of laying (she's one of our best layers). So she's definitely a hen :)

Initially, I wondered if she was he because her wattles were HUGE compared to the other hens, but she's over a year old and we've caught her in the act of laying (she's one of our best layers). So she's definitely a hen :)
I understand, I have one like that. Swore she was a cockerel until I actually saw her lay in person 🙂

If we remove the rooster, will the other hens stop attacking her? Would we be able to reintegrate her? Or is she permanently ousted from the flock?

Is she still in molt? If so don't keep her with your flock till her feathers are coming in. No longer pin feathers.

And because she challenged the cockerel he will be out to dominate or kill her in the process.

Hard molt is very painful for chickens and getting attacked will heighten her stress level which in turn will effect her mood and health.

Is she still in molt? If so don't keep her with your flock till her feathers are coming in. No longer pin feathers.

And because she challenged the cockerel he will be out to dominate or kill her in the process.

Hard molt is very painful for chickens and getting attacked will heighten her stress level which in turn will effect her mood and health.

Her feathers are definitely looking much better but she still has pin feathers in places, so we are keeping her in isolation. She seems very content alone at the moment, and she is VISIBLY stressed when around the rest of the flock, so we are limiting contact and keeping an eye on her during her free-ranging sessions. For now, she seems happiest resting in the hutch in our garage/basement and regrowing her feathers in peace.

Now we just have to figure out what to do with the rooster ..... We thought we'd lucked out with a good one, but I don't want him killing hens who are less than fond of him.

Thank you for your insight!

I would put the cockerel in a space of his own. Then put the hen back with the flock. Let the cockerel simmer in his hormones for a while or he shows signs of not being aggressive. By that time you can put him back, the hen should be fully integrated with the flock by then. He won't have his favorite to back him up and follow his lead. So it should be like a reset for the flock.

Back
Top Bottom