Rooster and Hen Separation

brentmeist

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Hello all , looking for a little advise please. I have a rooster who keeps the hens in check very well and has actually saved a couple from sure death while free-ranging. I would like to keep him, however he is tearing up the backs of the hens to the point of no feathers being left of the backs of the hens and worried that they could get infected. I have tried aprons and so forth but that doesn't seem to be working the greatest. My question is -would it be ok to separate the rooster from the hens for a while to give them a break and give their feathers a chance to grow back without causing too much disruption to the pecking order ?

Last edited:

This is what I do and the hens r much better now. It doesn't hurt them at all either

Same problem here. I never separated the roo, and the backs, while completely bare, and probably scarred, have not became infected. The feathers are kinda growing back, but probably won't return completely until after the first molt (if the scarring doesn't prevent it).

I'm most concerned about how well they will be able to preserve heat in the winter. I guess they do fine when molting in winter, so it shouldn't be really any different.

EDIT: My "roo" is still a cockerel and does not have sharp spurs yet. I do think I should try trimming his nails, but he has always been the most skidish bird, so I have been too lazy to deal with it.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Before we go to separation, how about a little more info?

How many hens are we talking?

What do you feed them?

Can we see a pic of the feather damage?

9 hens 1 rooster. I recently lost a hen because she started to bleed on her back and suddenly went in a corner and died. I feed Nutrena and Natures Best organic feed and let them free range. I can get a pic tomorrow.

Is it all the hens, or only a select few?
How old is the rooster?

I'm wondering about the amount of protein in your feed. Most layer is 16%, that's pretty much a minimum. Also, organic feed usually does not have animal protein in it. You might try something like Feather Fixer, or an even higher protein feed like a grower. Offering some oyster shell will give your girls enough calcium to balance things out. Higher protein levels contribute to better feather quality.

I'm not saying you can't separate your rooster, if you have the facilities to do so. I just don't see it as a long term solution and am looking for other management changes you can make. Since you're using him for protection during free ranging, he's got to be out with the ladies to do his job. Being denied access to the harem usually makes them more zealous about mating when they're reunited.

Some hens just have brittle feathers and don't tolerate a rooster's attention. Ridgerunner has posted some good information about that, but his management basically comes down to eat the hens with brittle feathers. Not sure you're willing to go with that
hmm.png

A flock with a rooster should not be fed layer pellets. The extra calcium will cause kidney damage over time. Flocks with roosters should be fed a grower, flock raiser, or all flock type feed, and crushed oyster shell offered separately for the layers.
Sounds like your boy could use a few more girls, and the girls would benefit from a feed with a higher protein content.

The longer I am in this game, the less I think it is all the roosters fault. Some of my hens are barebacked, and some don't have any feather damage, and ALL of their eggs are fertile so something is getting done. I think barebacks bother people more than chickens.

Mrs K

Not all bare backs are caused by roosters. My opinion is if the back is completely bare, with no broken feathers, there is probably a feather picker amongst your hens. Several threads on here tell about taking the rooster out of the flocks and then discovering that didn't change the bare back situation.

Back
Top Bottom