Rooster - Any idea what breed?

Sunshyne276

Songster
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Richlands, Virginia
I posted a photo of him before (can't find the old post at the moment lol), and I know someone asked for a full body shot of him.
Well, I *tried* today!! lol He's not the easiest roo to get a pic of!

roounkown1.jpg

And, here are the original two pics I had posted:

062010151713.jpg
1rooroo.jpg

Quote:
You can compare it to rich people who refer to each other as "new money" or "old money". They are both rich just one looks down its nose at the other. Hatchery birds are just not considered to be as fine of a bloodline...they are fine for your back yard flock. You wouldnt want to mix them with heritage stock though.

You have a beautiful Golden Laced Wyandotte...dont worry about his pedigree..just enjoy him!

I beg to differ with the previous commenter on the 'hatchery' classification. In hatcheries, you have no clue what the folks could be breeding into that Wyandotte. They usually only loosely conform to the standards of the breed, and can have some pretty wild differences between two birds, even from the same hatchery and hatch...

In other words, you won't be winning any awards at shows with him, which is important to some people, as is pedigree.
smile.png

(Although he looks better than most hatchery GLW roos. VERY nice looking fellow)

Red&Yellow :

I beg to differ with the previous commenter on the 'hatchery' classification. In hatcheries, you have no clue what the folks could be breeding into that Wyandotte. They usually only loosely conform to the standards of the breed, and can have some pretty wild differences between two birds, even from the same hatchery and hatch...

In other words, you won't be winning any awards at shows with him, which is important to some people, as is pedigree.
smile.png

(Although he looks better than most hatchery GLW roos. VERY nice looking fellow)

I agree with you in that hatchery birds loosely conform to standards. Most are bred to be better production birds and not so much is put into stardard form or feathering. For someone who is just getting into the hobby for meat or eggs the hatchery stock is fine and in some cases superior for their needs.

I have met breeders who claim to have pure blood lines that were questionable at best. So unless its a top name breeder with a strong reputation buying from a local breeder is a total crap shoot. The problem with that is that top name breeders get top dollar for their birds. I was just looking at one ( I think the name was Greenfire Farms) and they want $99.00 for a pair of birds. That isn't very feasible for the person who just wants good egg production.

As they say...to each his own.​

Back
Top Bottom