Rooster attacked a newer rooster help!

Hykiko

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
So my big male rooster Junior who is Silver phoenix/Maran attacked one of our new roosters (Eagle) Tuesday, pecked out his left eye. The attack happened when I was moving chickens around and happened before I could grab him, I've contacted the vets and they can't get him in. I got a hold of a wildlife rehabilitation center who told me to just use eye wash and cotton swabs like I have been doing, the issue I'm really running into now is that there is puss coming from the eye socket. I'm worried I'm have to get him antibiotics to clear it up fully, another issue arise from this, due to Eagle hiding out after his attack, he decided to hide in one of the hens nesting boxes and that hen didn't like that and pecked the top of his head causing that to bleed. I've now got him isolated in another location to heal but the hen who was pecking him is now crowing like crazy because he was removed from the flock which is making him go off.

anyone with any info or help would be graciously appreciated!

Photos might be helpful. I would keep him separated until he properly heals, sounds like he’s been through a lot.

I think Terramycin is the go to antibiotic for eye related issues but I don’t know if that still applies in the case of the eye being pecked out.

Definitely keep flushing the wound with warm saline several times daily. Keep him somewhere dark, quiet and warm to minimise stress.

Photos might be helpful. I would keep him separated until he properly heals, sounds like he’s been through a lot.

I think Terramycin is the go to antibiotic for eye related issues but I don’t know if that still applies in the case of the eye being pecked out.

Definitely keep flushing the wound with warm saline several times daily. Keep him somewhere dark, quiet and warm to minimise stress.
I messaged you with a picture of Eagle, I didn't want to get flagged for it.

I messaged you with a picture of Eagle, I didn't want to get flagged for it.
Lots of graphic photos posted here, by necessity. Only way an injury can really be assessed. Graphic warning is always appreciated though! There's also spoiler tags if that makes you more comfortable!

So sorry about your rooster; I hope he mends asap. You'll get good advice on treatment here. Welcome to BYC!

Warning graphic photo!!!!

F720D38A-E695-4686-A224-71AAEB0ED0EC.jpeg

The pic was taken after I cleaned out his eye of all the puss.

Lots of graphic photos posted here, by necessity. Only way an injury can really be assessed. Graphic warning is always appreciated though! There's also spoiler tags if that makes you more comfortable!

So sorry about your rooster; I hope he mends asap. You'll get good advice on treatment here. Welcome to BYC!
Thank you, this is a first for my flock. I’m used to the normal hazing/pecking order issues never issues like this.

The pic was taken after I cleaned out his eye of all the puss.

Oh god the poor darling. His beak needs to be filed back too.

I think keep doing what you are doing. You can use vetericyn safely around/on the eyes too. It’s an antimicrobial spray. I wonder if it might be good to put a square of gauze over the hole and wrap in place with vetwrap while it heals, but maybe someone else can give more experienced advice.

Oh god the poor darling. His beak needs to be filed back too.

I think keep doing what you are doing. You can use vetericyn safely around/on the eyes too. It’s an antimicrobial spray. I wonder if it might be good to put a square of gauze over the hole and wrap in place with vetwrap while it heals, but maybe someone else can give more experienced advice.
Warning graphic content!!!!

91AF7974-90D8-421F-9515-0B6121D87674.jpeg

Here is eagle now, just got home from work to clean his eye and tend to the top of his head.

I can’t tell if that spot is a pocket of puss or what, his third eyelid is intact though as he keep closing it when I was cleaning his eye.
AC84DFA7-BCD5-4E29-A489-574783216B2B.jpeg

Attachments

• 850A363A-1EEE-4A2B-A5F6-E055228B40E6.jpeg
    850A363A-1EEE-4A2B-A5F6-E055228B40E6.jpeg
    424.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom