Rooster attacked by hawk, hurt leg

rebelchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Memphis
My rooster was attacked by a hawk about 2 weeks ago. In the beginning, all I found were feathers but couldn't find him. After several days, I was calling the other roosters and heard a crowing coming from the woods. I crowed back and we crowed to each other until I found him. He was hopping around in an old dead log. One wing was funky looking, some tail feathers were missing but I was most concerned that he wouldn't put weight on his leg. I brought him home, he cries when I mess with his wing or his leg. I live in a city, so there aren't any "chicken" vets here, I'm on my own. He eats fine, fights with the hens over food, etc. but he still will not put weight on his leg. He is able to hop around the yard to eat bugs and he hops into their house at night. My questions are these: Can a chicken live with just one leg? If I just leave him alone, will this heal itself?

I think so as long as there are no signs of any infection. Last summer our feisty rooster somehow broke his leg right at the joint, it was just like hanging there, I brought all his food and water near to him so he wouldn't have to try to walk on it. After a long while it healed almost completely, he just has a little limp so with TLC from you and time, he just might be ok. If he he walking around on it some I think he will eventually use it that is how my roo was for awhile, it was a gradual process but it healed up fine!
big_smile.png
Best of luck with your boy!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom