rooster attacked chick

Pics
Looking at the video, it does unfortunately look like he could have neurological issues. I only have experience with Marek’s disease, not neurological problems caused by an injury, so I’m not sure what your next move should be.
i don’t want to give up on him just yet, but i don’t know what to do either. I wouldn’t like to live with that thought of what if i gave him more time? maybe he recovered and he could’ve relearned his motor skills and found a way to walk, but i also know that right now he isn’t at the happiest he could be and i just don’t know what to do.

i don’t want to give up on him just yet, but i don’t know what to do either. I wouldn’t like to live with that thought of what if i gave him more time? maybe he recovered and he could’ve relearned his motor skills and found a way to walk, but i also know that right now he isn’t at the happiest he could be and i just don’t know what to do.
It has only been a week, so give him and the bruises and swellings some more time if you can keep up the care. He is already very much better and maybe he will be able to regain stability when the inner swellings no longer pressurize on his nerves and organ of equilibrium.

At the very least it would be wise to cut the spurs down on the rooster that kicked him so it won’t happen again. They can still cause a lot of damage but it’s more likely when they have needles like that rooster does.

You were holding him the entire time in the video. When he falls over can he get back up or does he attempt to get back up?
ahh sorry! would you like me to show you him when he falls? i was kinda scared to do that sorry! i didn’t drop him because i didn’t want him to hurt himself, but if you wanna try picturing him falling, he kinda just falls in the direction he’s putting the most weight in and then he panics and rolls around, in the end he kinda just lays there trying to push himself up with his legs but he can’t lift himself so he just pushes himself farther away and rolls again.

It has only been a week, so give him and the bruises and swellings some more time if you can keep up the care. He is already very much better and maybe he will be able to regain stability when the inner swellings no longer pressurize on his nerves and organ of equilibrium.
i am willing to wait, i might seem impatient but that’s only because i want to see him happy again.

Last edited:
ahh sorry! would you like me to show you him when he falls? i was kinda scared to do that sorry! i didn’t drop him because i didn’t want him to hurt himself, but if you wanna try picturing him falling, he kinda just falls in the direction he’s putting the most weight in and then he panics and rolls around, in the end he kinda just lays there trying to push himself up with his legs but he can’t lift himself so he just pushes himself farther away and rolls again.
Nah that’s pretty much what I figured. I don’t blame you for giving him more time if you have it to spend with him. He may heal up in the end but I’m doubtful unfortunately.
I stand by my recommendation to kill the rooster that kicked him though. That bird at only a few months is not a threat to a full grown bird and he knew it. I’m the last person to cull a rooster for behavior but kicking hens and kicking chicks/young birds will cause them to lose their head the fastest.

At the very least it would be wise to cut the spurs down on the rooster that kicked him so it won’t happen again. They can still cause a lot of damage but it’s more likely when they have needles like that rooster does.
i wasn’t aware you could do that, where and how? myself or a vet? i have to look into it but i’m definitely willing to have them cut if it’s safe!

Back
Top Bottom