rooster attacked chick

Pics
i found out that they’re all boys so i’ll have to build another fenced area and coop for them or else the one with the girls are gonna fight them, could i put the cockerels all in the same coop?
Yes, I have a bachelors only coop. My cockerels are just over 6 months old & getting along just fine. They stare at the girls’ pen but don’t fight each other since they can’t reach the girls. I guess they have resigned themselves to a celibate life.

yes i could bring him his buddy :)

i found out that they’re all boys so i’ll have to build another fenced area and coop for them or else the one with the girls are gonna fight them, could i put the cockerels all in the same coop?
What breed or line is this cockerel and the other cockerels?
A photo of the Dad would be good too:)

What breed or line is this cockerel and the other cockerels?
A photo of the Dad would be good too:)
unfortunately i’m not sure of their breeds, i have 3 chicks that belong to him and 1 that i rescued, he’s a much smaller one and started singing at 3 weeks i’ll post some pics :) i was told all of them are cockerels, i know that 2 are boys because they sing but i’m not sure what the little brown one is but others think it’s a boy

Attachments

• F1929EEB-CECA-423D-BFD8-352CCC5534E3.jpeg
    F1929EEB-CECA-423D-BFD8-352CCC5534E3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 16C488EC-AD0F-4709-9245-22827C22A5B6.jpeg
    16C488EC-AD0F-4709-9245-22827C22A5B6.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 11
  • AD621D6C-B6F4-471A-942F-90574ACB94B2.jpeg
    AD621D6C-B6F4-471A-942F-90574ACB94B2.jpeg
    628.4 KB · Views: 11
  • B3A28DC6-F8EE-4E2D-BFD4-07AA1350AC4D.jpeg
    B3A28DC6-F8EE-4E2D-BFD4-07AA1350AC4D.jpeg
    795 KB · Views: 12
the black one is my rescue he is a pretty small rooster, he’s around 12-13 weeks old and the others are 9-11 since one was born later

unfortunately i’m not sure of their breeds, i have 3 chicks that belong to him and 1 that i rescued, he’s a much smaller one i’ll post some pics :) i was told all of them are cockerels, i know that 2 are boys because they sing but i’m not sure what the little brown one is
To me, it looks like all cockerels too.

Thanks for the photo of the Dad.
The cockerels that are together right now may get along for a little while, but get some separate pens ready now and be prepared to use them.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the line of your rooster either, only whoever bred him can do that, but he looks like a Gamefowl to me. The males cannot live together.

If your cockerel was kicked by that rooster, then he may not recover. As mentioned on page 2 of this thread.

I’ve never seen an injury to neck caused by an adult rooster kicking them heal. It’s usually nerve damage.
I would kill the rooster that did it if he’s an adult.

To me, it looks like all cockerels too.

Thanks for the photo of the Dad.
The cockerels that are together right now may get along for a little while, but get some separate pens ready now and be prepared to use them.

I wouldn't be able to tell you the line of your rooster either, only whoever bred him can do that, but he looks like a Gamefowl to me. The males cannot live together.

If your cockerel was kicked by that rooster, then he may not recover. As mentioned on page 2 of this thread.
i got their eggs from a friend, their chickens are all mixed so im not really sure, that’s unfortunate but it’s for their best, crickets being a little rooster will probably get killed by one of the big ones so it’s definitely for the best, should i get them some ladies so they won’t be lonely?
As for garbanzo, what should i do ? :(
He eats and drinks and wiggles around and can stand but he can’t maintain balance by himself and he still can’t turn his neck the other way, i’m waiting for his inflammation to go down but i dont see much improvement although it takes time of course. i could try finding a vet but i’m not sure about the cost.

i got their eggs from a friend, their chickens are all mixed so im not really sure, that’s unfortunate but it’s for their best, crickets being a little rooster will probably get killed by one of the big ones so it’s definitely for the best, should i get them some ladies so they won’t be lonely?
As for garbanzo, what should i do ? :(
He eats and drinks and wiggles around and can stand but he can’t maintain balance by himself and he still can’t turn his neck the other way, i’m waiting for his inflammation to go down but i dont see much improvement although it takes time of course. i could try finding a vet but i’m not sure about the cost.
Give Garbanzo some time. It's ultimately up to you how much time.
I've only skimmed the thread so not sure exactly what you have tried. I would get 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E into him once a day. See that he's eating his chick starter and give him a little scrambled egg which will help with the uptake of E.
I'm just making the assumption he suffered neck/head trauma from being kicked just by glancing at the photos in your posts and your description.

As for the cockerels and rooster - even if just 1/2 Gamefowl/a mix, the males likely will not get along at all. The rooster has shown that, I would keep him penned too-sounds like he does not have a good temperament. Pens need to be spread apart or if close, line of sight needs to be blocked to prevent fence fighting.

The youngsters may get along for a period of time until they don't. If running loose they may get along longer, there's really no set time - it depends on the birds, where they roam, etc. Everyone's set-up is a little different.

It's better that you know this now than later so you can get started on pens. Once they start fighting, it can escalate quickly.
Up to you whether to give them ladies or not. I keep a lone stag and he's fine, I'm sure he wouldn't mind female company, but he's fine without for the time being.

i was able to locate a couple vet places that work on chickens, the exams range from $50-80 dollars , should i make an appointment? would you make an appointment? i guess i just want opinions.
:idunno
I'm just making the assumption he suffered neck/head trauma from being kicked just by glancing at the photos in your posts and your description.

i was able to locate a couple vet places that work on chickens, the exams range from $50-80 dollars , should i make an appointment? would you make an appointment? i guess i just want opinions.
:idunno
Taking a chicken to a vet is really a personal choice and would be dependent on your budget/how much you are willing to spend. That $50-80 is just to get in the door.
Many people do consult a vet and that's great, but it's not something I will personally do.

I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom