rooster attacked chick

Pics
So, I'm not at all sure about this for birds (as there's very little information regarding it and a few sites say to use with caution) but you could try Prednisone as a last ditch attempt if nothing else is helping. I've used it for smaller mammals with spinal injuries (some that couldn't walk due to bruising) and it works wonderfully. Again though, I have no idea about it's use with birds. Pred is also pretty tough on organs if given for to long and it has to be slowly tapered off. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there for you. I'd talk to a vet about other options if you can.

Only thing i have noticed is that he doesnt turn his head the other way as often as he did, i tried to slowly turn his head so he could face straight and so i could see how much he can turn but he just turned back around, it seems worse but i’m not sure i’ll have to observe that more. He tries to scratch his neck a lot, do y’all think he feels itchiness or pain? or maybe another feeling in his neck?? i’ll try to gently scratch his neck for him tomorrow.

hope everyone had a nice day :)
He might suffer from a dislocated cervical vertebra, which would explain the disturbance of equilibrium, inability to turn the head in the other direction and the constant scratching, as this does hurt.

As suggested by @RosemaryDuck you could try some cortisone/prednisolone as anti-inflammatory and to soothe the pain. Maybe with the swelling gone down, the vertebra will switch right back in the proper position.

Can you gently sample his whole neck trying to determine where exactly the dislocation is situated?

I haven't checked this thread for a few days so I don't remember if this was suggested.
Have you tried the chicken sling? I'm thinking even if you put him in it s few times a day he could practice standing and build whatever strength and coordination he has with the support of the sling.

I understand your not wanting to put down the big rooster.

A couple of years ago I brought home my current rooster and a pullet. He was only about 2 or 3 months old. They were here for a few days and I got 2 more pullets that were similar age. I stupidly put them together thinking none of them would be territorial yet and that surely a cockerel wouldn't attack a pullet. If anything I thought maybe the girls would pick at each other. Things were going well and then he just pounced on one of the new girls. I got him off., couldn't keep ahold of her and he pounced again with both feet. She died that evening. I was mad at myself for being stupid and really thought I had a bad rooster. But now that he's grown he is the best rooster we've had. He's a Cochin and he also loves chicks and will break away from the main group and just spend time showing them around. He's kind to the hens and never aggressive to people.
That sounds like he was trying to mate her but was being much too rough since he barely knew how. I'm still sorry about your pullet though, no matter how he injured her.
I havent put him in like 2 days because it flew away since i put it outside to wash and forgot about it but i just found it in the bushes so i’ll put him in right now, he definitely has strength in his feet, he’s able to stand if he’s being held up but it’s just his balance and his neck.

thank you, it’s definitely upsetting he did this but i dont have the heart to give him away or put him down, the people around here would probably use him for rooster fights, and i would be worried he isn’t getting the same care i give him, he’s a cuddly rooster and wants constant attention, i’m mad at him right now but he still knocks (pecks) at the window waiting for me to let him in for cuddles :(

I’m sorry for the loss of your little one, mine is sweet to his hen & to people as well, he’s kind of baby and likes to be wrapped in blankets, he even tries to get under the hens wings, poor thing is too big for that lol. The hen is kind of the boss around here actually, if the rooster tries to mate with her she screams at him or puffs up and he goes in his coop or just leaves her overall, i wonder what she told him lol. Unfortunately he’s probably not the best with chicks, but i’m never gonna test that out because i’m not getting any new ones and i’m not gonna risk one getting hurt again :)
Try not to be mad at your rooster. He was doing what came naturally to him, attacking the "threat" to "protect" his hens. He doesn't understand that you love the cockerel and it's not a threat. You should still give him at least some attention because ignoring him won't help anything. Please try not to put human emotions on animals.

That sounds like he was trying to mate her. I'm still sorry about your pullet though, no matter how he injured her.
Try not to be mad at your rooster. He was doing what came naturally to him, attacking the "threat" to "protect" his hens. He doesn't understand that you love the cockerel and it's not a threat. You should still give him at least some attention because ignoring him won't help anything. Please try not to put human emotions on animals.
It’s actually a cockerel but who knows what his intentions were,
and i do give him attention, i was just mentioning that i’m still upset with him but he doesn’t know that because he doesn’t know what he did wrong, i still pet him and go out with my chickens around the yard, thank you for caring :)

His neck is feels like a 〰️ (it’s a squiggly line) because of how he has it twisted but i compared him to another chick and the area where he was injured is a little bumpy and seems swollen. This area is like behind his ear on the back of his head @LaFleche :)

His neck is feels like a 〰️ (it’s a squiggly line) because of how he has it twisted but i compared him to another chick and the area where he was injured is a little bumpy and seems swollen. This area is like behind his ear on the back of his head @LaFleche :)
Yes, that is what I expected, must be the atlas dislocated which leads to loss of equilibrium etc.

When the cortisone/prednisone has helped to reduce the swelling, we might very carefully try some osteopathic procedures to help with relocation.

I have done this successfully several times already, but only with little chicks that were trampled on by other chickens or got stuck in the eggshell etc.
With a young cockerel of his age, weight and tonicity it might not be so easy.

Well, but we could try it as a last resort if he does not recover and otherwise would be put down.

Back
Top Bottom