Rooster attacked hen

cortneymae0

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
My rooster just attacked one of my hens and now she's missing her eye and she's all bloody. I'm getting rid of the rooster because I won't be having anymore of my hen shirt but is there anything I can do for this one or would it be best to just go ahead and put her out of her misery????

I have had several eye injuries in the past an never lost one yet. The key is to keep the animal calm, give her antibiotics and polysporin directly in place of the missing eye.

This is of course if you are prepared to keep her separated for several months while the eye heals and she adjusts

I have a totally blind hen and she does fine and I've had a chick that got the back of her head ripped off down to her shoulders and besides looking like some kind of NN cross she lives a perfectly normal life. I would just separate her and give it time. Just make sure it doesn't get infected and keep her away from the flock for awhile. If he eye is completely gone the eye socket may just seal over or her eye may just go cloudy, or best case scenario it just scratched the surface and she may get some of her vision back if not all. I definitely would not put her down unless it gets severely infected

I am most definitely willing to separate her and get her better. I've never been in this situation so I am so thankful for this website. From what i can see the eye is completely gone. Now I just need to get passed the mean ol rooster to get her

Back
Top Bottom