Rooster attacked, severe neck injury (graphic image)

More updates. Still not sure how this is going to turn out. Sometimes he seems to be getting better, other times he's very weak.

Today I thought I noticed a greenish hue to his wound. I immediately cleaned it and applied a thick layer of triple antibiotic cream.

I'm going to attach some pictures. The first two are taken right after rinsing his wound with vetericyn spray. The third image is from after applying the triple antibiotic cream. The first is from yesterday(48 hours after the attack). The second is from today (72 hours) and then the third is showing how I put the cream on him.

If it is in fact infection setting in, im not sure what I can do. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20201213_142013.jpg
    IMG_20201213_142013.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 19
  • received_420259972672552.jpeg
    received_420259972672552.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 19
  • received_864072974350524.jpeg
    received_864072974350524.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 15
More updates. Still not sure how this is going to turn out. Sometimes he seems to be getting better, other times he's very weak.

Today I thought I noticed a greenish hue to his wound. I immediately cleaned it and applied a thick layer of triple antibiotic cream.

I'm going to attach some pictures. The first two are taken right after rinsing his wound with vetericyn spray. The third image is from after applying the triple antibiotic cream. The first is from yesterday(48 hours after the attack). The second is from today (72 hours) and then the third is showing how I put the cream on him.

If it is in fact infection setting in, im not sure what I can do. Thanks for any help.
I think he needs some proper broad-spectrum antibiotics to survive. So when taking your rabbit to the vet tomorrow, take him too or at least let the vet prescribe/hand you a good one.

I will try. I live in an exceptionally uptight part of the world (Connecticut) so I really am not hopeful that a vet will help me.

The greenish may be bruising, I can't really tell in the pictures. Is there any bad smell from the wound? For a wound this size an antibiotic would not be out of line. If the vet won't help, you can get some on line as fish antibiotics, many of us use them. Amoxicillin (Fish Mox) or Cephalixin (Fish Flex) is what I would use if the vet doesn't recommend something.

Thank you coach. No new smells. He's kinda had a wet dog smell from the day of the incident. I assumed it was a combo of blood and feather oil.

That smell is likely what you think, from the feathers being wet and the wound. A healthy wound pretty much just smells like fresh chicken, any bad smell (if it smells bad it's pretty easy to recognize) would be a good indication of infection, as well any pus or drainage.

I literally just had my nose an inch from the wound and took a deep breath and I didn't get anything too intense, just that same barnyard chicken smell only a little greasy. Thanks for the info. I'll still reach out to the vet tomorrow and if they don't assist me, I'll get some fish antibiotics just to have on hand in case he needs it.

Just sending positive waves :fl and some hugs.:hugs
Thank you for taking care of him. Good luck.
Couldn't have it any other way. I've grown way too found of this rooster. I often carry him around under my arm and take him everywhere. Thanks for the thoughts.

Hey y'all,

Just an update. Noticed today that he definitely has blueish green discharge. I acquired amoxicillin and administered the first dose just now. He was 6.5lbs and I read elsewhere that you dose 57mg per pound. I managed to get him to eat most of a dose in yogurt, although I heard not to mix the medicine with yogurt. I knew it was one food that he is most interested in, and I figured any antibiotics are better than none, even if they are less effective from the dairy.

He is beginning to eat and drink with very little assistance. I don't think he's done much eating or drinking on his own, but if I hold his pellets in front of him, he will eat, and if I hold water in front of him, he will often drink it. Sometimes I need to dip his beak.

He's still in a great deal of pain. I know someone who has meloxicam, and I'm on the fence about using it for him. It seems like the pain is preventing him from wanting to eat or drink on his own.

I stopped the aspirin on the second day, as he seemed weaker when I was using it. Now his only medication is the fish amoxicillin

Thanks for any input

Back
Top Bottom