Rooster Attacked, Tail/Back Feathers All Missing, Head Hanging Low

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, he's not at the point where he can eat or drink on his own still. I'll look into feeding him fish and such once he's able and willing to eat. Still mostly trying to make sure he's drinking at least some water, lol. But he does seem to be better today! He's standing upright and is awake! But I think he's still pretty sore judging by how little he moves, even tilting his head down and back up seems troublesome.

I'm sorry that Cillin was also attacked, but it's actually a little reassuring to me to see another rooster go through a very similar attack and recover! Is it common for roosters to lose their tail feathers like this when attacked/fighting?

Edit: Also, there didn't seem to be baby aspirin around. The lowest dose we could find was low-dose adult aspirin 81 mg. Would that be okay to give some of?
That depends on what attacks them.
Very common ime with weasel attacks. Weasels try not risk a front on attack because of the vunerability of their eyes. Every year the chickens had a couple of weasel attacks; more usaully on hens. The hens for some reason fared better, maybe because they had the sense to keep running. The weasel usually got shaken off with a mouthfull of feathers.
Regarding the asprin.
If he looks like he is getting better then I would forget about the asprin. I would in case of future problems like this look for Metacam and keep a tube handy.

Yup, it's always reassuring when a poster can provide some evidence of having dealt with the matter concerned.

That depends on what attacks them.
Very common ime with weasel attacks. Weasels try not risk a front on attack because of the vunerability of their eyes. Every year the chickens had a couple of weasel attacks; more usaully on hens. The hens for some reason fared better, maybe because they had the sense to keep running. The weasel usually got shaken off with a mouthfull of feathers.
Regarding the asprin.
If he looks like he is getting better then I would forget about the asprin. I would in case of future problems like this look for Metacam and keep a tube handy.

Yup, it's always reassuring when a poster can provide some evidence of having dealt with the matter concerned.
Well, I thought he was getting better the other day, so we put him back in the barn with the others. But he seems to spend the first half of the day not moving at all, and the second half he might walk around some but mostly still sleeps. So I've been hand feeding and watering him again, some with dry food. But he gets tired or sore or something and only nibbles for a second. So I tried egg yolk again today. I'll be getting some white fish tomorrow and search for that Metacam again. We just didn't have it where we looked before.

It's been a week now though, so could this still be potentially a normal recovery time? He can occasionally stand up fairly straight, but he spends most of the time hunched over. I'm not sure if I should be more concerned or if it just takes some longer to get better. My biggest concern is keeping him watered and fed though since he doesn't seem to want to do either.

Well, I thought he was getting better the other day, so we put him back in the barn with the others. But he seems to spend the first half of the day not moving at all, and the second half he might walk around some but mostly still sleeps. So I've been hand feeding and watering him again, some with dry food. But he gets tired or sore or something and only nibbles for a second. So I tried egg yolk again today. I'll be getting some white fish tomorrow and search for that Metacam again. We just didn't have it where we looked before.

It's been a week now though, so could this still be potentially a normal recovery time? He can occasionally stand up fairly straight, but he spends most of the time hunched over. I'm not sure if I should be more concerned or if it just takes some longer to get better. My biggest concern is keeping him watered and fed though since he doesn't seem to want to do either.
It is possible that he received some internal injuries. There isn't anything you can do about this. It's a matter of keeping him fed and hydrated and hoping he'll pull through.:fl

It is possible that he received some internal injuries. There isn't anything you can do about this. It's a matter of keeping him fed and hydrated and hoping he'll pull through.:fl
Yeah, it seems like there's some sort of damage inside, maybe something in his neck/back, but it could be anything. I'll keep just trying to give him food and water when he's willing! He seems in pretty good spirits at least, his body just isn't doing what he wants it to do though, poor guy. Thanks!

Update how is he?
Doing well! His feathers have been slowly growing back in his tail. His crowing went from really pathetic back to how he used to be. And he thinks he's a big shot again and pretty much wants to fight me when I go over to check on them, lol. Total disregard for me nursing him back to health! Took several weeks or more until he started getting back to normal though. So I was still nervous that he might be permanently damaged in some way. But he currently appears to be pretty much fully recovered!

Doing well! His feathers have been slowly growing back in his tail. His crowing went from really pathetic back to how he used to be. And he thinks he's a big shot again and pretty much wants to fight me when I go over to check on them, lol. Total disregard for me nursing him back to health! Took several weeks or more until he started getting back to normal though. So I was still nervous that he might be permanently damaged in some way. But he currently appears to be pretty much fully recovered!
That's so good to hear!!!! Glad he's better !!

Good update except for the aggression.
It's at least pretty manageable. He's usually more sneaky, so he doesn't really attack while you're looking at him but might try when you turn and walk away. At least with me. He's not as bad with my boyfriend, I think. Which was the reverse when he was younger. He used to be totally chill with me and always attack my boyfriend, lol. So I'll either hold him by my hip for a while or kneel his head down to the ground to show dominance. That usually cools him off for a bit, haha.

Back
Top Bottom