Rooster attacking baby goats - negotiating a "cease fire" updated 6/8

Quote:
I would actually try that first! I just really don't like those mean roosters as they will pass that trait onto their babies I have heard. JMHO

He started it - he pecked me on the ankle and came at me again when I pushed him away with my arm. Kicking him and swinging is getting us no where. All I'm doing is encouraging him to fight me.

I bought a SUPER SOAKER. He comes at me, I squirt him right in the head with a stream of water!
big_smile.png
He backs off. I figure if I can train my dog with a squirt bottle, This may work for the Rooster. Our first negotiations went well. He made four attempts to attack, I soaked him on three of those attempts - missed once.

So, now we've talked I proposed no more attacks and the water torture stops. He's going to sleep on it.
tongue.png

I can only imagine what the neighbors think seeing me armed with a neon green squirt gun everytime I go to the barn. And then watching me sit with goats armed like secret service while they play. The rooster was being a little aggressive before the goats. But only with me not DH. I figured out that if I get in the barn before he comes down from his roost then there is no morning fight. He leaves me alone. But if I am late, here we go! He charges me at the door and keeps charging until I boot him in the tail feathers.

I REALLY don't want to get rid of him. He has done a wonderful job protecting the hens from hawks. He's really just doing his job. We don't expect him to be a "pet". I'm hoping this "diversion therapy" works for him and he adjusts his attitude.

Back
Top Bottom