rooster attacking hen

Treemanjlp

In the Brooder
Sep 22, 2019
My 7 mo rooster has started attacking 1 of my hens. I have 9 RIR girls, 4 BR GIRLS, and 1 BLRW boy. 5 girls are 10 mo, and the rest are 7 mo. This last week he has started running her off then tonight she wouldn’t go in. I opened the hen door to put her away and he came running then took a chunk of feathers out of her back. Full on attacked her. He is spending the night in the dog crate inside the hen house. Why would he start attacking a hen for no reason? Not willing to get rid of my beautiful boy but don’t want him being aggressive

Might be hormones kicking in and he unsure how handle it.:idunno But I would keep him in chicken jail for a few days. I have a very old rooster and a young one. The younge one hasn't challenged the older yet,but evey night before the girls go to bed I put young Salty Dog in a cage in the coop. Helps keep his rank down, The old roo can't handle an all out fight with him. Chicken jail can be used to give the hens higher rank in the flock,just lock up the bully.

Keep him away from the hens by himself. That particular hen may not be responding to his advances, but he will hurt her. Later on only allow him with the hens when you can supervise. He will be fine in a crate or pen with his own water and feed. I have had a hen scalped and left in a ditch by an overzealous cockerel, so he may need to be kept separately until he calms down or I would consider rehoming him.

Back
Top Bottom