Rooster attacking hen

iluvfamly

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I have a new flock of chickens. 9 hens and a rooster. We introduced them to the old flock which did not have a rooster and everything seemed fine. Now the rooster is attacking one of the hens from the old flock. Its not usual rooster behavior. Its like he wants to kill her. We took him out and put him by himself, but where he can see the others. Was this the right thing to do? It seems the hen he was attacking was being bossy (?) with the newer hens. When she eats she doesn't let them eat. Maybe that is why he doesn't like her. Any clues? Thanks!

It's peck order. The roo is trying to help establish HIS girls within your existing flock. He sees them as the dominant hens, not your first hens. they'll work it out. I wouldn't disturb them unless he draws blood myself. Peck order can be vicious sometimes.

Wow, sounds like he does not like the way she is treating the rest and is going to cull her himself.
sad.png

Maybe if you take her out of the mix a couple days and then reintroduce her to the flock she will have a new rank and start acting right. Maybe he will treat her better if she treats the others better. Wow... talk about a rooster keeping order in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom