Rooster Attacking Me

I've heard of the term "blue Orpington" before, but here in South Africa they are commonly referred to as lavenders. It's probably because its a colour that we can more easily identify with the specific breed's plumage.

Ah I see. when I first started to see posts about lavenders I was like ' am I missing a colour' but then it clicked. yes it makes more sense since they are not really all that blue, but over here if you said lavender everyone would give you funny looks.

My Australorpe roo responds well to metal leaf rake. Once he gets his routine dose of sparing he's go to go ...

Oh dear I just blew it. Ventured down the laneway without the stick, just a handful of grapes I was taking to an old hen I thought was sheltering behind the compost bin. All of a sudden Bertie Rooster runs up behind me, I turn, yelp, and having nothing else threw him the handful of grapes! Which he scarfed down. Methinks I'm gonna pay for that mistake.

I read your article and there are a lot of things that I agree with and then a lot of things that I don't. All my roosters go through baby boot camp so to speak when they are around 6 to 8 weeks old. The minute they start getting their hormones and becoming little men they learn that I am top rooster and that they should not attack me or other humans. I will bring in other people who are rooster savvy to also handle my young roosters and the roosters learn that all humans are top roosters and they need to behave around them.

That being said I will not walk in a special way or not carry my rakes or shovels around my roosters. I have had multiple roosters and the only one that I have had a problem with was one that was not raised here and was already about 8 months when I got him. My chickens, ducks, and turkeys all free range and are all over the property so there is no way that I can always not be carrying around something. Also since this farm is an open farm I often have little kids and other people here who are not rooster savvy and the roosters are expected to know how to behave even if the human is not me. The roosters I raise can be touched, picked up and also respond to voice commands such as bedtime, load up etc.

If a rooster gets beyond the baby stage and is still acting aggressive I no longer think of him as an "innocent" rooster. He is not behaving in a way that is okay for a farm yard rooster to behave. A wild rooster maybe but not a farm rooster. A farm rooster needs to understand that people are okay and don't pose a threat. If they are still going after people at that time. I will reprimand them twice. Using the carrying method or other dominant methods. If they don't get the hint the third time they will attack I will process them. I have so many other roosters on the property who are sweet and waiting for their turn for a flock that I will not keep an aggressive one around to teach the other roosters to be aggressive too.

Going back to above the 8 month old rooster I got from someone else started acting up in December of this year and being aggressive towards everyone. I was waiting for our outside water to work so I could process him and was doing normal morning chores and he came at my face as I was bending over to pick up a turkey poult who had run up to me. I put my hand up and he spurred my hand instead of my eye. That was back in April. I have been on antibiotics since it happened. My hand is the size of a grapefruit and I may have to have surgery to get it repaired. All for doing what I do every day and my other roosters are totally okay with. He didn't stop at one attack either but kept attacking me until my other rooster stepped in and went after him for attacking me.

Had he attacked my niece or another little kid they would have been much more seriously injured or dead. I strongly suggest that if you want to work with roosters you do not keep one with aggressive tendencies around because this behavior isn't normal and it isn't behavior that is safe to have around people that you love and want to stay healthy.

Okay climbing off my soapbox now.

We had roosters. 4 that we had from hatch. They never gave me bother. I lifted them every day of their lives several times a day so they were used to me. When we did have issues of in fighting I just up ended them so they hung from their feet or bum feathers whatever I got hold of first. They were the loveliest birds ever in the end. Sadly I had to get rid of them for other reasons! Two were killed by their new owners one died last winter and the last was still alive last year but lives at a farm. I really miss them and feel sad for folk who have EVIL birds.
At the moment I have an EVIL hen she was lovely and hand reared and then one day Bam she turned into a demon possesed fur ball. She attacks me for no reason. I am in the process of "lovin" this out of her. I lift her despite her screaching and carry her about the yard. Everytime I enter the coop I grab her and push her down into the submission position. Then scrub the back of her neck as I do to all the other hens that squat for me. If she attacks I upend her and if she continues she is put in solitary! This usually takes a few days and then she is all submissive and sorry - until the next time! When the "lovin" starts over. Darn she was such a georgious baby too.

Oes - there is always the other option

hi! I have a four year old rooster who loves me and he has a stable mood. i feed him good treats like cantaloupe, watermelon, honey melon, bananas, cucumbers any left over from the restaurants i keep for him and his hens. He knows me as a feeding hand. I would suggest to feed him nice treats daily. It could change the power trip between the two of you. He could see you as a nice surprise less threatening....not sure about this but it is worth a try...i buy the fruits at a discount store always 50% or near expiration dates..it makes the flock happy they see me as a care giver

LOL!! My girlfriends parents used to put their youngsters in 45 gallon drums while they milked the cows. Saved them a lot of worry wondering where the babes were, or if Bossy was going to kick them. Nowadays they would be reported to social services for child abuse. LOL! Bet after a while you learned, and carried a big stick!!! I no longer stick my fingers in rabbit cages to pet the "cute bunny" after the day a 2 lb. killer rabbit (I swear to god he turned into a giant before my eyes), **** near bit the end off my finger. Much to the delight of my friend who had just said "I wouldn't do that if I were you". She secretly trains all her critters as attack animals, I swear she does!!!!

Back
Top Bottom