rooster attacking my hen

Roooisin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. The hens and rooster have been raised together and are 2 and 3 years old and have always been together. They have always gotten slong but yesterdsy i noticed that the rooster keeps attacking one of the hens. She is broody but i dont want her sitting on eggs but she sits in the laying box. She started being broody 2 or 3 days ago. Today i saw the rooster pin the hen down and peck her very hard while another hen pulled some of her feathers out. The hen being attacked is terrified but i cant figure out why the rooster keeps chasing her and attacking her. The hen being attacked keeps running ad flying away from the rooster. She gets on very well with the hens and had gotten on very well with the rooster until yesterday. No blood has been shed thankfully. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? And what to do? The roosteris very gentle and quiet and i dont want to get rifd of any of them.

Sounds to me like chicken discipline. That's how roosters show hens who's boss. Could be that she is resisting his mating advances since she wants to be broody, or she did something else that he didn't like. It should stop soon when she stops doing what's annoying him. If it keeps up more than a day or so, I'd separate the rooster for a couple of days and let things settle before reintroducing the rooster. And, of course, keep a sharp eye out for blood. If there's even a little bit of blood, you'll have to remove her ASAP.

I think you need a few more hens, so Mr.Randy Rooster will be too pooped to pick on her. I roo to 4 hens is just not enough, he probably overbreeds them as it is.

i have just noticed a lump on the hens leg, where her foot meets her leg. its not cut or infected looking and she is walking just fine, with no limp. could this have anything to do with the aggressive rooster?

Back
Top Bottom