Rooster attacking my husband and I…

My husband the former vegan is watching videos about how to tame him. He wants to hold him down and all that. I really don’t have any interest in chasing him and grabbing him forcing him into submission. I’ve already had to kick him and everything else, I don’t see how bullying him is going to remedy anything. I think he needs to move on.
Your husband is definitely on the right track. I’m in a vet science class and one of the things we are taught about animal behavior is we have to let them know behavior is unacceptable in ways they can understand. Think about it, if a predator knows they can easily go to your coop for a snack, they will come back. But if they are successfully fought off or find it’s too challenging, they are less likely to come back. If you show your roo that they can win, they will do it again. The trick is to not let them win and to show that you are the boss.

I’m dealing with similar things with one of my roos. My current method is using my foot to block him from attacking and keeping my eyeballs always on the lookout. Someone recommended to put him in a fishing net and walk around with him in submission. I’ll probably do something like that if he starts getting too cocky (no pun intended).

I never have a problem with roosters, but I never show fear, I never offer a boot or a broom to fight. I pick them up if they are near, soon they only come if they want to be picked up, I am okay with a rooster coming to be picked up, or staying away. I have reformed roosters that have attacked children. They may try and attack me one time. Then I get respect.

I never have a problem with roosters, but I never show fear, I never offer a boot or a broom to fight. I pick them up if they are near, soon they only come if they want to be picked up, I am okay with a rooster coming to be picked up, or staying away. I have reformed roosters that have attacked children. They may try and attack me one time. Then I get respect.
I never show fear either. I am very firm around my roosters and show I don’t mess around and I’m not to be messed with. Putting a foot out to block but not kick seems to work well and I don’t get hurt. The other thing is keeping an eye on him at all times when he’s near. Picking them up sounds like a good idea, since it puts them into submission and says you are the boss.

Catching an obnoxious cockerel or cock bird? Better reflexes than many of us have ever had! And getting injured while attempting this feat? not worth it!
Managing to convince an idiot who attacks the giant who brings food might work, for that one person, maybe, but every other human will still be attacked. We used to try every technique mentioned anywhere, and nothing really worked. Now, only polite cockerels get to stay, and everyone is better off.
Mary

Last edited:
Catching an obnoxious cockerel or cock bird? Better reflexes than many of have ever had! And getting injured while attempting this feat? not worth it!
Managing to convince an idiot who attacks the giant who brings food might work, for that one person, maybe, but every other human will still be attacked. We used to try every technique mentioned anywhere, and nothing really worked. Now, only polite cockerels get to stay, and everyone is better off.
Mary
Agreed. When my rooster came at me ... the very idea of trying to catch him is just laughable. Try catching a tornado that is trying to kill you armed with knives, spurs and nunchucks flying at your arms, head and face. Yeah, right.

This works for me:
1691377887969.png

George (American Bresse) is scared to death of this thing when I hold it by my legs or wave it in his direction. I don't have to touch him. (This roo isn't long for this world, anyway. I'm only keeping him until I get the first load of his eggs in the incubator. Then he's stew. He's in a breeding pen with three young hens, as I try to get a flock established of this breed.)

I have three other roosters in general population (Australorp mix, RIR mix, and a backup Bresse roo) who are a blessing and a pure pleasure to be around, and they get along very well with each other, too.

It often takes several rounds of 'bad' roosters until you get lucky and find a 'good' one. Meanwhile, learn to accept that this is part of raising chickens; not all of them will be nice and you have to make some difficult decisions to keep a strong, peaceful and happy flock and (human) family, too.

FWIW, George and his ladies have been in their little pen since I brought them home a couple of months ago. This pen has been fence-to-fence with a pen full of cockerels - 17 of them. I thought George's behavior might have been exacerbated by the presence of 17 other boys next to his own girls. However, I slaughtered all of those boys about a month ago and George's behavior has not improved in the slightest. He's still a d!ckhead.

I don’t see how bullying him is going to remedy anything.
It is not bullying , it is showing dominance. Showing who is boss. Sometimes they are just doing it because it is something they do to establish pecking order between roos. kinda like brothers fighting. Best thing to do is first you have to be confident. Stand your ground. Mirror his actions. He scratches, you scratch. He flaps his wings, you flap yours. He advances you advance. each time you wait for his next move. Once he starts to walk off you stop, scratch, flap AKA "get the last word in"

I used to have a roo long ago that would attack my GF. She would always run away and he would get more aggressive. My 8 yr old daughter would go in and he would avoid her like the plague. She would chase him till he was caught. She would hold him and be all baby talk with him. Mind you he was at least 1/4 of her size. Told my GF that if my daughter could do it she can. Told her what I told you just now. Eventually it took hold and he wouldn't chase her. Although at time I would have to stand behind her when he got that look in his eye. Had to give him the "buddy, this chick is mine, go get your own" Look.

If any of my birds step out of line or become aggressive, I just poke them semi-hard (to simulate a peck). Most just go "SQUAWK" run off and never do that behavior again. Idk, seems to work (I figured it would be a reaction/behavior they would understand). Has always worked so far.

I am just here to say I had to do my first rooster culls (3 so far) - I didn't enjoy it but, too many roos to the hens and they were too big for the hens and being overly rough - 1 dragged a hen (a little poland) all over the garden, I had to intervene to save her and that was it for me, the switch flipped and I did the deed, then few days later, similar thing so I did 2 more of the teenage roos. I felt awful so came here to read the comments to make myself feel better. It def worked, I feel better about it, I really had no choice. Keeping my original Roo as he is also a little poland and not at all mean with the hens, he is a gentleman. The culled ones happened to be mostly silkie x poland, but they grew a lot bigger than my original chickens are, so that was part of the problem too.

Back
Top Bottom