Rooster Attacking One of My Hens

gmayberry

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
About a week ago my rooster singled out one of my hens. He keeps her in the coop not letting her out to eat or drink. When she comes out he chases her back in and attacks her. She was a little pecked up around her wings so we separated her from the flock. He was aggressive to all the hens but particularly to her. These chickens have been together for a year and a half with no issues. My friend suggested I reintroduce her to the flock and separate him for a few days. A little time out so to speak. There are only four hens and the rooster so I need to restore some peace to the group especially with winter coming. Any suggestions?

For whatever reason he no longer likes the hen. When this happens it is rare that a rooster will later accept her. I would get rid of the rooster.

Or get rid of the hen. Or keep them separated, though that may be difficult in a small flock like yours. For some reason he has decided he no longer wants her as a member of his flock. I have no idea why. After that much time together without an incident that sounds strange.

It could be that some circuit blew out in his chicken brain. He may have noticed something wrong with the hen that he doesn’t want her in his flock and making babies, maybe a disease or weakness?

I don’t know what you mean by “aggressive to all the hens”. You may just be talking about normal chicken mating, but if he is really aggressive to the point that he is bullying or attacking them, that rooster needs to go. There are too many good roosters out there to put up with a bad one.

Last edited:
He has never been a bad rooster up to this point. He has his moments but nothing like this.
As far as mating he is fast and furious but nothing that is hurtful to the hens.
They fluff a bit and go on about their business.
We've had him for two and a half years and one of the hens the same.
We lost two hens two years ago and replaced them with three.
What I mean by aggressive is that he seems more wound up than normal.
Chasing and pecking but not to the point of injury.
His tactics with this hen are different.
Keeping her in the coop without food or water, chasing her back in and punishment if she ventures out.
We'll see how His "time out" goes.
My friend is an old poultry guy and keeps many birds of his own.
Chickens, ducks etc.
Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom