Rooster attacks older hens because they don't want to breed?

natalie97

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2016
I have a barred Plymouh rock rooster that is attacking my to older hens (Rhode island red and silvery lace). I only have till the 26th of august to fix the issue. He kept attacking them when they dodge his breeding ritual. What should I do? He has been separated for weeks until today when I introdused him back into the flock. Is it worthat keeping him?

Hi, I had my Roo do this too. He chose a different "younger" hen that he wanted as "top hen", he then proceeded to "de-throne" old momma. I keep chickens primarily because I want eggs, but also healthier chicken meat. My Roo was so mean to her, she would go hide, she was loosing weight because she didnt eat. And he was bloodying her head. I too tried separating etc. Nothing changed. I have other younger roos coming up from a spring hatch, so I didn't really need to keep him. Still a hard decision...but I can say the "peace" in the coop and chicken yard, now that he is not there...is really nice.
Only you can make the right decision for what works in your chicken yard, I wish you well.

I have a barred Plymouh rock rooster that is attacking my to older hens (Rhode island red and silvery lace). I only have till the 26th of august to fix the issue. He kept attacking them when they dodge his breeding ritual. What should I do? He has been separated for weeks until today when I introdused him back into the flock. Is it worthat keeping him?
Welcome to BYC!

More info is needed to determine what the problem really is.

How old are the birds?
How many birds, of what genders, do you have?
How long have you had them?
How big is your coop and run in feet by feet?
Do they free range at all?

Back
Top Bottom