Rooster, Bare-Backs and Scratches, Should I Be Worried?

Chicky Lover

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Texas
Hello, BYC! I haven't posted anything in quite a while, being that everything's been okay with my chicks. But recently, I've noticed that my rooster seems to be plucking several feathers from the hens. In total, I have eight chickens, with one rooster and seven hens. I am sure all of the hens have bare-backs, one having feathers plucked from her head (though those are most likely from the other hens). It seems to me that he's breaking some of their primary feathers and giving them a couple of scratches. They are regularly free-ranged, happy, and healthy, for the most part. Overall, my rooster is a good boy. He's kind to the hens, leading them all around the yard and finding delicious bugs for them, but this is my one concern. One, out of the seven hens that I own, had an injury from him. She had a cut on her side, but thankfully that's healed. I don't want this to progress into anything worse, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd more than appreciate them.

I am sure all of the hens have bare-backs, one having feathers plucked from her head (though those are most likely from the other hens). It seems to me that he's breaking some of their primary feathers and giving them a couple of scratches.
How old are these birds?
Saddle might help protect the bare skin,
some birds just have weak/brittle feathers that are easily broken with treading.

Back
Top Bottom