Rooster beat up badly. One graphic photo

No advice medically, but my ladies wouldn't stop pecking at my leghorn cockerel's tail, to the point they broke some blood feathers. I tried reintroducing him several times over a month and they always went right for his tail, even after it was fully healed an no longer bleeding. Finally, I set him up w/ his own separate space in the coop so he is by them, can see them, but they can't hurt him. My hope is that his feathers will eventually grow back and they'll forget about it. I don't know about your coop/ run situation, but something like that may work for your little guy.

Is your polish a bantam? You didn't mention that. That could also be part of the problem. Although we keep a mixed flock we have more than one bantam.

Although I've never seen a bantam polish I would think silkies would be smaller.

IMG_20160803_163919332.jpg

Do they look like this?

Actually I did that last night. We have a very large cat carrier. Ive been putting him in it at night and keeping him in the house, and letting him out on my porch during the day. Last night I put the carrier with him in it, locked, and set it in the coop. We have a very large coop and run. We took him out and back on the porch this morning. He goes in the yard, but says right by the porch steps. My chickens are very spoiled and love to free range, but lately there’s been some raccoons, and fox around, and our neighborhood bear, who cares more about bugs, but because of that I’ve only been letting them free range a few hours a day. They’re not happy and I think why Popover got beat up too.
No advice medically, but my ladies wouldn't stop pecking at my leghorn cockerel's tail, to the point they broke some blood feathers. I tried reintroducing him several times over a month and they always went right for his tail, even after it was fully healed an no longer bleeding. Finally, I set him up w/ his own separate space in the coop so he is by them, can see them, but they can't hurt him. My hope is that his feathers will eventually grow back and they'll forget about it. I don't know about your coop/ run situation, but something like that may work for your little guy.

He’s a white crested black polish. He’s the size of a silky. I think that’s why he’s picked on too.
Is your polish a bantam? You didn't mention that. That could also be part of the problem. Although we keep a mixed flock we have more than one bantam.

Although I've never seen a bantam polish I would think silkies would be smaller.

View attachment 1157888

Do they look like this?[/QUOT

I agree with @chickendreams24 most likely he is the "odd guy". If you do a little searching here on BYC you will find that crested birds like Polish and Silkies are susceptible for being attacked/shunned, etc. by other large fowl like you have (Buff Orpingtons, NH reds, EE, etc.).

It's unfortunate, but he will most likely have to be housed separately from the others. He may do o.k. with bantams or some Silkies.

I'm sorry he was injured. Just keep his wound for signs of infection. Keep him hydrated - add some poultry vitamins to his water for a boost. The worry with Crested Birds having injury to the head would be neurological damage due to most having a vaulted skull.

I hope he recovers and all goes well for you.

I hope I replied to you. I meant too. Thank you so much. You gave me great information. I didn’t know that about their heads. I think he’s is getting beat up for being different as well. Going to tell my husband all you told me. He’s definitely separated. Going to have to decide what to do with housing him. Thank you again so much!!

Is he your only polish? Do you have any other silkies or "odd" birds?

If not I believe he's almost certainly getting beaten up for being different. Not only is he a second cockeral and they've just matured so hormones are high but he's also the odd man out in the flock.

Chickens can be very prejudiced. Sometimes they will pluck beards if there is only one or two bearded birds or crests or feet and legs feathers.

For his safety he absolutely has to be separated from them at least until he's healed. I would consider getting a few more oddballs or rehoming him. Maybe give him his own coop and flock. You may not know but crested breeds can have problems in that their skulls never fully close bc of the crest. I believe it's a side effect of the gene. Anyway if that happens a sharp peck can literally hit the brain and kill them. This is seen in polish sultans and silkies I believe some crested cream legbars can also be effected and possibly other crested breeds too.

Poor boy. It's sad but it could have been much much worse. I would suggest getting blukote from your local feed store and spraying or dabbing it on. Be careful it must not get in his eyes or face and he will almost certainly shake it everywhere. The do sell both sprays and daubers. We like both and try to keep them on hand.

Blu kote diguises the red to deter pecking and dries and disinfects injuries.

Thank you so much!!
I think your both right. I am weighing my options. One might be to see if my daughter will take him. She has bantams. I’ve been giving him Kiefer milk a probiotic and ACV in his water. They all get it. I’ve also been putting antibiotic salve to his wounds. I’m going to go get some blu kote, I think it’s called per suggestion here..
I agree with @chickendreams24 most likely he is the "odd guy". If you do a little searching here on BYC you will find that crested birds like Polish and Silkies are susceptible for being attacked/shunned, etc. by other large fowl like you have (Buff Orpingtons, NH reds, EE, etc.).

It's unfortunate, but he will most likely have to be housed separately from the others. He may do o.k. with bantams or some Silkies.

I'm sorry he was injured. Just keep his wound for signs of infection. Keep him hydrated - add some poultry vitamins to his water for a boost. The worry with Crested Birds having injury to the head would be neurological damage due to most having a vaulted skull.

I hope he recovers and all goes well for you.

Thank you everyone so much!!! You all gave me great advice. I’m weighing my options as to what to do with him long term. You all are awesome!! Thank you!!!
I’ll update once we figure it out.
God Bless!!! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom