Rooster Beating up Hen

bluedawg

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
Croton on Hudson
Just let my chickens out into the big yard after being cooped up in the chicken yard all winter. My Rooster who is just about 1 now decided he didn't like one of the older hens and started chasing her around the yard. I thought they'd work it out so I let it go on for a while until I noticed she had completely gave up and lied down and he was just pecking and beating the crap out of her. So now he's in the dog house, quite literally, I locked him in the dog house to keep the hen safe as she is now bleeding from her comb and leg... poor thing. As of now he is going to the butcher on Tuesday. Is there any reason to think this behavior is temporary? My last rooster was never aggressive... how I miss him.

Was he cooped with the hens all winter? If a new introduction, she may have challenged him and he went over the edge. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what is going on in their little pea brains. You might give him a try with the hens in a couple of days. If he again becomes aggressive - to the auction with him.

Yes, he was with them all winter with no issues. Before he came along this hen was the dominant female, she may have challenged him - but still he should have stopped once his point was made. He seamed intent on killing her. The local farm only butchers on Tuesdays so I will give him another try in a few days but if he is still aggressive off he goes.

Well, no. I've seen him on the other hens - that's a brief encounter he was trying to kill this hen and wasn't even trying to mount her.

I just got home from work and it's night time so I was able to retrieve him from the dog house and put him back with the hens without any fuss. He has one chance tomorrow morning to behave. Maybe whatever bee he had in his bonnet has been tempered by a short stint in solitary. Otherwise the butcher says I should have him there by 9am. It's up to him.

Back
Top Bottom