Rooster behaving BADLY!...what to do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ajlynco, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    What do my fellow BYCr's do with/to thier roosters acting overaggressivly or just plain mean, short of the stewpot? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Give him to someone else to put in their stewpot. Or carry a large stick and whack the rooster a few times. Seriously, if the rooster is attacking his hens he needs to go. If he is attacking you he needs to go. If he is attacking the kids he needs to go.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Tolerate his bad behavior, adjust his attitude or off with his head. Pick whichever option works best for you.

4. reneemellor

reneemellor Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    Waco, Tx
    My roo, Bob, got all "puffed up" at my 3 year old one morning, so I chased him around the chicken run while flapping my robe and yelling.[​IMG] His girls were standing around watching and he seemed really embarrassed. I've never had another problem with him. Of course, it was the first time he ever tried it, so maybe catching it early is the key.

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    With my rooster I ended up doing what theoldchick said -- I carried a big stick with me, and every morning the two of us would have a fight. After about a week of that, he realized that I won and would run and hide wherever possible. The only problem with that was he only was afraid of me. My dad? Forget it. Mom? Sisters? Brother? Nope. Just me. He ended up going to auction, where a lady heard his (very) impressive crow and bought him almost immediately.

6. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    BBQ, fry, soup... give away (warning that it is agressive and mean). Let someone else make soup.

Beware: roosters like that can also break the neck of a hen and kill her, if they are "raping" as opposed to "mating". They can also fly up with the talons and put an eye out in a person.

7. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I posted my troubles on here too- I had a three year old rooster, never gave me a bit of problems, until he attacked my six year old daughter. I didn't want to do it, I wanted to save him, but the fear of him doing it again and doing more damage, did him in. He went to the butcher.

8. chickenwille798

chickenwille798 New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    I have found that all roosters have different natures. An i find it a challage to break them of bad habits. there are meaning ways to do it but i find the best way in the summer is a waterhose with a sprayer that has a jet spay setting. But for winter that is not workable so i use a long dow rod that is a 1/4" 4 foot long to the back of the head. Just hard enought to tell them your the boss not him.

9. roosterT

roosterT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    What i have noticed is that white broiler roosters becomes aggresive when you make them adapt outside, they get really big and really strong and fearless. For my other roos, i never have problems with them

10. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    sorry, but my vote goes for OM NOM NOM NOM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by