Rooster behavior advice welcome

sloanbychoice

Crowing
Dec 29, 2019
Wichita, Kansas
I originally had no desire to have a rooster. Then, I guess I changed my mind, partially because I wanted my hens to calm down having a roo around to mediate, and partially because a friend had too many, so my “rescue mode” kicked in.
At any rate, Boss came to live with us, and a little over a month ago, he was placed next to my hens. (Still technically a cockerel, I believe)
Integration was not pleasant, until one day he decided to fly over the barrier between them, and he held his own from then on.
I’m trying not to make this lengthy, but before everyone begins with knowledgeable help, there are some factors...
He’s still young, not quite a year, an EE, and he’s been very docile for the most part. Because we got him later than I would have liked, so far there is no picking him up or petting him, as he is very skittish of us. His former family was totally free range, and he was bottom roo, walking around at a distance from others.
According to my research so far, he is displaying good roo behavior.
He stays back a bit when the ladies are eating, watching the sky, watching the area... He mates regularly, but not obsessively...
My birds are in coop and run at all times, never free range.
Now that the background is out there, here’s the reason for this... I want to make sure I don’t end up one of those stories, where the rooster gets dead because he attacked someone... So far, every day, multiple times per day, Boss is only curious, never engaging, about us humans. He has never displayed anything close to worrisome behavior. But two days ago, as I went in the big door to the coop to get it opened up, he walked right up to me and pecked my leg. Honestly, it just totally shocked me!! It didn’t hurt too bad, so it couldn’t have been his worst peck, but it made me wonder...
So I ask this... What should I do, what steps should I take, to make sure he doesn’t ever get aggressive?
I’m assuming maybe I startled him... or maybe he didn’t quite know who it was... ?
He hasn’t done it again.
Thanks for any help!!!
A4E3AA4F-F124-4CD1-9155-83FFFBFCFDB3.jpeg

I have had many roosters, RIR's, EE's, bantams. From what I just read, Boss could do one of two things. He could keep acting like he is, or he'll try to test how far you let him go. If he takes it any farther, I'd reinstate your dominance. If it was just an accident, then leave him alone, he sounds like a very nice rooster.

There are a lot of different behaviors that can show a rooster is challenging you. Trying to "Tidbit" you is one of them. Tidbitting is when a rooster dances around a hen before he mates her. When a rooster does this to another rooster, it's a challenge of authority.

Boss currently sees you as the alpha rooster. He probably doesn't crow in front of you or mate the hens while you're near.

If he tries to tidbit you, put a stop to it immediately. Chase him around the coop or yard until he's scared. (Meaning his neck feathers are plastered to his neck and he's stretched out thin like a pancake.) Crow in front of him. If he tries to mate any of the girls, knock him off and chase him.

Everything I just described is how roosters treat each other. The alpha rooster is in charge and anyone who disputes it is chased. I have done this to my roosters who have questioned who's in charge and they never questioned it again.

I have (currently) two very respectful, borderline friendly, roosters.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply!

So, I have a couple things...
He does actually crow with us down there. And he mates them regularly as if we’re not even there. Should he normally not?
I’ve not wanted to stop much of anything that goes on, for fear that I may inadvertently displace him.
See, when we first introduced, my hens viciously attacked him.
So, he had to work very hard for his place.
I’ve tried to stay out of their business when possible, so that I don’t ever make the girls think he’s back to being less than...

Should I change anything?

It's good if he avoids you, don't try to 'buddy up' to him. Don't hand feed treats to him, just toss any goodies on the ground. I want my cockerels and cock birds to get out of my way, and I walk 'through' them rather than around them. I don't think fussing about their mating is that important, but I will move them out of the way, mating or not.
Was he pecking at snow on your boots? My birds like to eat snow sometimes when I enter their coop.
You can carry a bucket or stick, and accidently bump him if he's too close, without doing anything dramatic.
Some cockerels do start trying out bad behaviors, and then give it up, while others escalate and need to be soup...
Mary

It's good if he avoids you, don't try to 'buddy up' to him. Don't hand feed treats to him, just toss any goodies on the ground. I want my cockerels and cock birds to get out of my way, and I walk 'through' them rather than around them. I don't think fussing about their mating is that important, but I will move them out of the way, mating or not.
Was he pecking at snow on your boots? My birds like to eat snow sometimes when I enter their coop.
You can carry a bucket or stick, and accidently bump him if he's too close, without doing anything dramatic.
Some cockerels do start trying out bad behaviors, and then give it up, while others escalate and need to be soup...
Mary

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

So I think I was thinking along those lines... Like, I’d really like to be “buddy” with him, but I’m just thinking it wouldn’t serve him well to be.
We always talk to him when we’re in there. And lately, he seems genuinely more curious. He’ll look up at us now, tilting so he can see us.
I really think for now he doesn’t seem to be pushing any boundaries. I just want to be prepared in case he does, and prevent anything if possible.
I really like the guy.
I hope this all works out.
But bottom line for us... I’m here for my ladies.

I would like to be able to handle him better. In case he has an injury or needs something... I just don’t know how go about getting him used to that, without causing behavior issue by doing so.

If at all possible, I handle birds at night when they are roosting, with a flashlight. One of those headlamps works well, especially if you don't have a helper out there with you.
I want my roosters to concern themselves with watching for predators and taking care of their flockmates. I'm the giant who brings food, not a flock member, or a threat, so we practice mutual avoidance, and it works fine here.
Make pets out of any pullets or hens that are interested, and leave the boys alone.
Mary

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks for the reply!

So, I have a couple things...
He does actually crow with us down there. And he mates them regularly as if we’re not even there. Should he normally not?
I’ve not wanted to stop much of anything that goes on, for fear that I may inadvertently displace him.
See, when we first introduced, my hens viciously attacked him.
So, he had to work very hard for his place.
I’ve tried to stay out of their business when possible, so that I don’t ever make the girls think he’s back to being less than...

Should I change anything?

I should correct myself. Those are all things I do if the rooster has decided he wants to challenge me. If not, let him do what he does.

I have some roosters. All are easy to be around. Several that I work with most are expected to be good around kids with no experience with chickens. Behaviors of roosters largely ignored and no human chasing of chicks or hens.

Engaging a rooster where you attempt to dominate is bad management practice. I ignore. Genetics can complicate and experience may help with the complicated birds.

Back
Top Bottom