Rooster behavior and season of year

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kadjain, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a time of the year when rooster become more aggressive than usual?
    Right now my buck is in rut and acting like a nut!
    The other day my bantam Amer. roo wouldn't leave me alone. I had to catch him and tried to instill a level of fear for me. It worked! He hasn't bothered me at all since [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've actually noticed mine start to show their behinds a bit in the spring. Like you, I deal with it the first time so it only happens once. [​IMG] Then they go back being their usual sweet selves.

3. Kadjain

Mine have never been 'usual sweet selves'. I constantly have to put my standard EE roo in his place. He even gets mad at me for a day or more if I bring a friend through the yard to show off my chickens and goats. I swear he doesn't like that. And I normally have to put the little roo in his place too, just the other day he got ridiculous and I really had to take him down a notch.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:How old is he?

5. Kadjain

Close to 9 months I think.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Ahhh. He is still in the (censored [​IMG] ) stage. Mine have all calmed down after they hit a year old or so. I got lucky with this last batch. They are 9 months old and like puppies. I just wish they would stop pulling each others' tail feathers out. [​IMG]

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree about the adolescent phase.......they can be real little s**t's at that stage. Try to mate with everything, wing dancing the big boys (STUPID!) and even coming over to wing dance me.....I just let them get close and pin them down with my hand a few times.....it is usually enough to establish who is the boss.

My cockerels are still 'testosterone troubled' in the morning (well, afternoon and evening, too, if I come to think about it) at this time of year, but the older boys are going into their Winter Slumbers and won't be very active until the sap rises again in the Spring.

Kadjain Any aggression towards you is testosterone fuelled, too, but you MUST nip that in the bud.Sounds as though you have already done that, but you may need to reinforce it. If a few 'pinnings down' don't work with mine I carry them around under my arm in front of the flock for a 10 minutes or so on two consecutive days. That has never been known to fail with my crew. Your roo is trying to show his dominance and does not like you bringing 'competition' into 'his' yard. You will have to make it clear it is YOUR yard and you will bring in just whoever you like.

Oh heavens.....male goats...We had a male pygmy goat some years back (short, stocky, huge horns) and he was a nightmare at this time of year. I ended up being unable to walk for 6 months due to HIS aggression. I'm sick of being head butted by a ram right now (who has a permanent footprint on his head), but my 4 other rams, one of which is massive, are either sweeties or very reasonable. So the testosterone acts on what is the underlying personality. This goes for roos. too.

8. Kadjain

Yeah, I've never thought about backing down from an eight pound bird, I was just wondering if there was a time of year that they become more aggressive. I always react to reinforce my dominace at any sign of it being challenged by any of my animals.
    [​IMG]
    Here's my Nigerian Dwarf buck. I have had to take him down and sit on him for a while a few times. He knows now.
    That's my super sweet Saanen wether behind him and in my avatar. He is the sweetest goat ever!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Pretty docile with short days and cold weather. I expect more action/conflicts/personality around February when days get longer. I agree that the testosterone is overlaid on the underlying personality and also how the chickener treats the flock. If he respects you normally he should still respect you in spring even if he's crowing more and wanting more action with the hens.

I have a Barred Rock rooster (Ricky) who was quite unhappy last year with previous caretakers who didn't have the coop on a regular open/close/egg collection schedule. That basketball-sized ball of feathers would come up behind me.....angry....

Then I started paying a little more attention to the Chickie Children and Ricky turned right around.....now he's a nice guy and he has stopped playing Angry Basketball Birds....

I guess I'll see come spring whether Ricky and I are on good terms...[​IMG] He needs to know I am the RUTHSTER!!! [​IMG]

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Kadjain that pic. made me shudder......ours was 90% black, looked (and behaved) like the Devil 5% of the time, and was very sweet the rest of the time.(I love goats really).

Good luck with the cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by