1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster behavior and what to do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldelorto, Feb 20, 2016.

1. ldelorto

ldelorto Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Auburn Massachusetts
    Rooster question... This is my first and only rooster. About 9 months old SLW. He does a really good job of protecting the girls, but a little "too good". They can't free range anymore cause he will attack my dog, and lately he has been charging at me when I go get eggs or let them out in the morning. He won't to my husband. How normal is this? He doesn't have much for Spurs yet but I'm worried this could be a problem eventually. Are there ways to work with him?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds like a familiar issue. Sometimes Roos can be rehabilitated not to attack humans and if you are happy to put the time and effort required then well and good. I'd suggest typing "managing roos" or some such thing in the search box as I know that there is a wealth of info there that may help guide your decision-making.

Good luck

CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by