Rooster behavior question

I raise cockerels with my flock every year, and don't separate them if any of them behave badly. I have mature hens and roosters too, so adolescent cockerels get 'educated' by adults, which helps a lot. Any cockerels or adult roosters who behave badly, towards humans or their flockmates, get invited to dinner. I also sell a few cockerels every year, but the bad boys need to be dinner.
I agree that having all the space in the world isn't the answer if you have a jerk! Your hens should have a better life, and will, without him.
Mary

He doesn't seem "good protective" at all either, I'm sure if a hawk came after them he'd be all "its every bird for themselves!" and just run away too, meanwhile being obnoxious to the hens.
He has not matured into that yet. Even a puppy won't start defending it's yard until it reaches a certain point of maturity.

I don't keep roosters as a sacrifice to the predators, personally. Meaning they are no match for most predators I have. I keep them for fertilizing eggs and filling the freezer.

I probably wouldn't have kept a single boy separate. But my first experience with "rooster" included an outbreak of about 7 hormonal boys at once... guess what, they cooperated to chase and hold down and take turn mating the most docile hen in the flock. It was a rude awakening for me... and thus the stag pen was created. Especially when my favorite sweet lap boy decided I was competition for his hens and started sneak attacking me, stalking me, etc... I was in denial. How could that be when he was SOOO friendly?!

Good luck on your move! Glad your hen is happy to be back with her flock and well! :wee

Individuals differ, as mentioned above! Generally Rhode Island Reds, at least hatchery birds, tend to be tough, while Salmon Favorelle boys are usually sweet. I've had nice boys, and jerks, and only keep the good ones! My white Chanteclers have been good, BTW.
Mary

Our first rooster was a total attack bird, and we kept him way too long! There's a learning curve, and over the years you will get better at reading behaviors out there, and likely less tolerant of the bad ones.
Mary

I vouch for the Faverolles boys.
Iv'e only had one stinker and he wasn't mean.
His problem? Too much love machine.:)
Individuals differ, as mentioned above! Generally Rhode Island Reds, at least hatchery birds, tend to be tough, while Salmon Favorelle boys are usually sweet. I've had nice boys, and jerks, and only keep the good ones! My white Chanteclers have been good, BTW.
Mary

What are your goals for that cockerel? Why do you want a rooster? The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Everything else is personal choice. Personal choice can be a strong drive, but that is a choice, not a need.

I don't know how much of this is an age thing. I had a 5-month-old cockerel that peacefully took over a flock with mature hens and pullets his age. No issues whatsoever but at that age that's rare. I've had several do that at seven months. I once had one that could not until he was 11 months and that involved a really rough two days between him and the dominant hen. I do think that the personality of the hens plays a part. It is not always just the male.

Some hens will squat for practically anything in spurs, even if they are tiny nubs. But many hens, especially mature ones, expect the male to behave like a good father to their potential children. An immature cockerel is often not able to act like that so they don't cooperate. Some mature hens my beat the crap out of a snotty brat when he bothers them or another hen, but generally mine run away. I have had some, generally pullets, stay in the coop and even on the roosts to stay away from an amorous cockerel.

It's possible that cockerel will mature into a decent rooster. But I'm not impressed with one at 8 months that needs to be that physical, especially when he grew up with the flock. With your move coming up I'd get rid of him and start over if you feel you really want a rooster. You can get different opinions on whether it is best to raise a rooster with the flock from a chick or bringing in a mature adult. Either one can work but try to avoid bringing in an adolescent cockerel.

From what I've seen breed doesn't have that much to do with a rooster's behaviors. You can see posts on here where Silkies, RIR's, Favorelles, Brahmas, Barred Rock, or any other breed of rooster has been a brute with his girls and/or human aggressive while other posts have them as great. My suggestion is to decide what physical traits you want in a rooster and go with that. To a certain extent their behavior is a matter of luck. The good thing is that most do work out.

At 8 months that is very brutal behavior to a hen. If he is great to you and you enjoy him, consider keeping him seperate from the ladies and just have his own space. My boy Ruger was initially rough but more so in a clumsy adolescent way. He had bitten the back of necks before, but never to the extreme of grabbing and shaking. He may need time to mellow out, but regardless seperation from the ladies seems to be the best course to keep for now, wait a good bit before attempting reintroduction to the flock.

And as others noted, breed does not always guarantee temperment but I will say most every Faverolles fella I have encountered have been awesome. I have one roo and am getting a blue Salmon cockerel next week as a pair, they are great personalities but can be bullied if they are too easy going.

Thank-you, that was helpful.

I've had hens for years but last summer we decided to try a rooster to begin hatching our own for your typical egg/meat reasons. The rooster is a handsome Lavender Orpington. The hens are all larger brown egg layer breeds.
At first they were cooperative breeders but he just doesn't stop going after his favorite hens. So then they'd decline and he started grabbing them on their way by, which I thought was normal (again, never observed a rooster). Which made them decide to roost more often so he cannot get to them, and not want anything to do with him.

Hmmm, OK lessons learned. I guess I should have asked about this a lot sooner. Thanks - now I know I guess and the poor girls won't have to go through this all anymore any which way we decide on him.

Thank-you, that was helpful.

I've had hens for years but last summer we decided to try a rooster to begin hatching our own for your typical egg/meat reasons. The rooster is a handsome Lavender Orpington. The hens are all larger brown egg layer breeds.
At first they were cooperative breeders but he just doesn't stop going after his favorite hens. So then they'd decline and he started grabbing them on their way by, which I thought was normal (again, never observed a rooster). Which made them decide to roost more often so he cannot get to them, and not want anything to do with him.

Hmmm, OK lessons learned. I guess I should have asked about this a lot sooner. Thanks - now I know I guess and the poor girls won't have to go through this all anymore any which way we decide on him.
Lavender Orps are beautiful!! Normally they are pretty mellow, and roos add such an awesome dynamic to any flock. Hopefully seperation smooths this scenario out.

Back
Top Bottom