Rooster behavior quirk or illness - please advise

Quote: Yeah, hope so, but don't know and somehow doubt it. As we talked it became clear that he is of a restrictive interpretation of one of the main religions, and it seemed his family were refusing to accept his problems needing treatment on the basis of their religion, even though the issues were medically verified, and they were somewhat against him receiving treatment, even though he lived in a place where he ought to have been able to easily access high-quality medical help.

Not very hopeful. Haven't heard from him in a fair while, last we talked he was going in for more tests and needed anesthetic but his religion disallowed that too. The family member of mine who had the same symptoms as the young man is doing great, which is a massive turnaround from being almost at the point of being officially recognized as disabled due to the severity of his problems.
Quote: Most countries have some native fruits that turn alcoholic as part of their ripening process, and many species are known to congregate and get drunk when the opportunity presents itself. Perhaps you have such a fruiting plant in your area? Maybe your rooster's the only one who's tried them though. Random idea, lol. Birds are able to consume many berries that are poisonous to us, and there's always the odd individual in the flock or herd that eats something none of the others will touch. Or, perhaps, he tried something he shouldn't have and gave himself nausea and dizziness through toxicity. Even genetic problems are often cyclic too though.
Quote: My experiences have been the same, they can quickly forget what roosters are about if you don't keep any, and then the whole situation can just remain negative even when the rooster you've introduced is doing his best to be nice.

For the whole flock's sake I think keeping a (good) rooster (multiple roosters in my case) is actually more peaceful and beneficial than not. Many people recommend getting rid of roosters to bring peace, which is a bit of a sad statement on the hen's mentalities, being unable to cope within a natural family structure. Unless you're talking about a bad rooster, everyone's glad to see the back of those, lol!
Quote: This is a good example of how quickly the failure of family instinct can be restored, sometimes it's just as simple as reawakening instinct that's going 'dormant' for lack of stimulation and reinforcement, and just watching normal interactions can do that. In a yardstick/measuring sense, your experience there is the same as mine in terms of how quickly you can establish a flock with good social harmony between the genders. There are numerous studies done on many species including chickens that demonstrate how swift they are to learn something just by watching another of their kind.

If you bred from your anti-rooster hens, I'd bet you'd see the daughters are very rooster-friendly, because even if the older hens aren't showing it, they will be slightly changed by just living within a more natural family circumstance. I'd bet you could get good mothers among the daughters of those hens even if they themselves will never go broody or show any interest in chicks.

Sometimes the instincts remain dormant in expression within the individual's lifetime even if they are strengthened by life experience within the parent, and you will only see the whole instinct pattern in their offspring. But we can alter instincts very quickly, chickens are pretty highly trainable like that, since reacting to and adjusting to external stimuli during an animal's lifetime is just simply how they manage to survive and pass on beneficial locality/lifestyle-adapted behavioral traits to future generations. Too many people think it takes thousands of years but if you read anything much about animal breeding you can see how rapidly traits can be fixed, both genetic and behavioral, usually within 5 generations in most species, but every parent has their influence and so does the individual life of every animal.

As you say, the family example seems to have helped, in my experience this has always been true and it's very important to raise them together when able as it's the quickest way to achieve a wonderfully peaceful, non-harmful and happy flock. Health and production is higher in happier flocks of course, the less stress and boredom and frustration, the better.

I had some hens who came from segregated breed/family backgrounds who never liked or understood roosters, but over time the males all gravitated away from those hens, to hang out with hens that did like them, and the hens that didn't like the roosters were almost never bothered by them; in fact after a little while of that they started seeking the roosters out but the roosters didn't change their minds on those hens, and never favored them. When you have enough males and females together, they learn discernment, and quickly the least genetically strong and least intelligent birds of both genders end up low on the social order, which doesn't mean they are necessarily bullied, but rather that they are limited to mates of their own caliber because the best males and females have their own groups and won't mate with 'lower grade' ones.

Many believe that when you let animals choose their own mates, the grade quickly gets poor in the resulting offspring, but in my experience birds with good enough instincts improve on their genetic lines, not degrade them. I guess if you take flocks of the least intelligent/instinctive birds and let them breed as they will, you end up with some bad mating patterns as their instincts are warped and weakened, and they come directly from breeds and family lines that via our typically restrictive husbandry regarding high production factory farmed birds, have very neurotic and hyper aggressive social instincts.

The experiment would benefit from people giving the birds a few generation's grace period living in normal family flocks to rekindle instincts so they can then be let to operate from there onwards and see where they take it. Very controversial subject there, it's currently the popular opinion that animals picking mates leads to rapid degrading of the quality of the average individual, yet we value landraces enough to point out the fault in assuming animal selection rather than human selection is all bad, lol.

Current scientific research is indicating female selection of mates is vitally important in many species, but one wouldn't want to apply that in practice to hens who don't even know what a rooster is. In my experience the female animal's selection of mates is a better final guide to the breeding program's best matches than the human's selections. I have learned over time to let my hens have the final say, because the majority of the time they are right, often especially in areas where we 'disagreed' over the quality of the male in question, and I thought he was quite a specimen but the hens didn't.

The most instinctive hens do most certainly want roosters around, it's one of their prerequisites for being content, and they will pine and complain if you get rid of all roosters, and will even abandon your place to go find roosters if they can hear distant crowing from a far-away neighbor's place.

I'm glad my previous reply was of some use to you, it's good to know, as I'm aware I do 'rabbit on' sometimes, lol! Sometimes you can get the impression you're crazy because so many people have such a different experience and some will even describe yours as either a figment of your (probably overheated, anthropomorphized) imagination or just plain unhealthy.

Quote: Does he sleep in a separate coop? Or is he just enamored of certain hens who don't normally keep company with him?

Yeah, hope so, but don't know and somehow doubt it. As we talked it became clear that he is of a restrictive interpretation of one of the main religions, and it seemed his family were refusing to accept his problems needing treatment on the basis of their religion, even though the issues were medically verified, and they were somewhat against him receiving treatment, even though he lived in a place where he ought to have been able to easily access high-quality medical help.

Not very hopeful. Haven't heard from him in a fair while, last we talked he was going in for more tests and needed anesthetic but his religion disallowed that too. The family member of mine who had the same symptoms as the young man is doing great, which is a massive turnaround from being almost at the point of being officially recognized as disabled due to the severity of his problems.
Most countries have some native fruits that turn alcoholic as part of their ripening process, and many species are known to congregate and get drunk when the opportunity presents itself. Perhaps you have such a fruiting plant in your area? Maybe your rooster's the only one who's tried them though. Random idea, lol. Birds are able to consume many berries that are poisonous to us, and there's always the odd individual in the flock or herd that eats something none of the others will touch. Or, perhaps, he tried something he shouldn't have and gave himself nausea and dizziness through toxicity. Even genetic problems are often cyclic too though.
My experiences have been the same, they can quickly forget what roosters are about if you don't keep any, and then the whole situation can just remain negative even when the rooster you've introduced is doing his best to be nice.

For the whole flock's sake I think keeping a (good) rooster (multiple roosters in my case) is actually more peaceful and beneficial than not. Many people recommend getting rid of roosters to bring peace, which is a bit of a sad statement on the hen's mentalities, being unable to cope within a natural family structure. Unless you're talking about a bad rooster, everyone's glad to see the back of those, lol!
This is a good example of how quickly the failure of family instinct can be restored, sometimes it's just as simple as reawakening instinct that's going 'dormant' for lack of stimulation and reinforcement, and just watching normal interactions can do that. In a yardstick/measuring sense, your experience there is the same as mine in terms of how quickly you can establish a flock with good social harmony between the genders. There are numerous studies done on many species including chickens that demonstrate how swift they are to learn something just by watching another of their kind.

If you bred from your anti-rooster hens, I'd bet you'd see the daughters are very rooster-friendly, because even if the older hens aren't showing it, they will be slightly changed by just living within a more natural family circumstance. I'd bet you could get good mothers among the daughters of those hens even if they themselves will never go broody or show any interest in chicks.

Sometimes the instincts remain dormant in expression within the individual's lifetime even if they are strengthened by life experience within the parent, and you will only see the whole instinct pattern in their offspring. But we can alter instincts very quickly, chickens are pretty highly trainable like that, since reacting to and adjusting to external stimuli during an animal's lifetime is just simply how they manage to survive and pass on beneficial locality/lifestyle-adapted behavioral traits to future generations. Too many people think it takes thousands of years but if you read anything much about animal breeding you can see how rapidly traits can be fixed, both genetic and behavioral, usually within 5 generations in most species, but every parent has their influence and so does the individual life of every animal.

As you say, the family example seems to have helped, in my experience this has always been true and it's very important to raise them together when able as it's the quickest way to achieve a wonderfully peaceful, non-harmful and happy flock. Health and production is higher in happier flocks of course, the less stress and boredom and frustration, the better.

I had some hens who came from segregated breed/family backgrounds who never liked or understood roosters, but over time the males all gravitated away from those hens, to hang out with hens that did like them, and the hens that didn't like the roosters were almost never bothered by them; in fact after a little while of that they started seeking the roosters out but the roosters didn't change their minds on those hens, and never favored them. When you have enough males and females together, they learn discernment, and quickly the least genetically strong and least intelligent birds of both genders end up low on the social order, which doesn't mean they are necessarily bullied, but rather that they are limited to mates of their own caliber because the best males and females have their own groups and won't mate with 'lower grade' ones.

Many believe that when you let animals choose their own mates, the grade quickly gets poor in the resulting offspring, but in my experience birds with good enough instincts improve on their genetic lines, not degrade them. I guess if you take flocks of the least intelligent/instinctive birds and let them breed as they will, you end up with some bad mating patterns as their instincts are warped and weakened, and they come directly from breeds and family lines that via our typically restrictive husbandry regarding high production factory farmed birds, have very neurotic and hyper aggressive social instincts.

The experiment would benefit from people giving the birds a few generation's grace period living in normal family flocks to rekindle instincts so they can then be let to operate from there onwards and see where they take it. Very controversial subject there, it's currently the popular opinion that animals picking mates leads to rapid degrading of the quality of the average individual, yet we value landraces enough to point out the fault in assuming animal selection rather than human selection is all bad, lol.

Current scientific research is indicating female selection of mates is vitally important in many species, but one wouldn't want to apply that in practice to hens who don't even know what a rooster is. In my experience the female animal's selection of mates is a better final guide to the breeding program's best matches than the human's selections. I have learned over time to let my hens have the final say, because the majority of the time they are right, often especially in areas where we 'disagreed' over the quality of the male in question, and I thought he was quite a specimen but the hens didn't.

The most instinctive hens do most certainly want roosters around, it's one of their prerequisites for being content, and they will pine and complain if you get rid of all roosters, and will even abandon your place to go find roosters if they can hear distant crowing from a far-away neighbor's place.

I'm glad my previous reply was of some use to you, it's good to know, as I'm aware I do 'rabbit on' sometimes, lol! Sometimes you can get the impression you're crazy because so many people have such a different experience and some will even describe yours as either a figment of your (probably overheated, anthropomorphized) imagination or just plain unhealthy.

Does he sleep in a separate coop? Or is he just enamored of certain hens who don't normally keep company with him?

That it too bad on the young man... I have often wondered about restrictive religions like that.
My thoughts on animals choosing their own mates are like yours- they frequently do a better job than we do. Take mixed breed dogs for example- frequently they don't get any of the issues that the pure breeds do, especially in terms of heavily mixed breeds, street dogs and the like. I have only ever owned mixed breed cats and dogs. I had to put my cat down at almost 22 years of age. Extremely old for a cat. Both of our dogs are mixed, and extremely hardy. The only 'problems' they have are the one is old enough for arthritis, and most likely tore his doggie ACL, which is unrelated to breed, but related to vigorous activity. And the other one is prone to cutting herself on our barbed wire fence, because she is thin skinned and clueless. But that is it.
But that, as you say, is a whole 'nother tangent. :)

I don't think the rooster got into something alcoholic or poisonous... I wonder if it is wind making it worse. He gets all fluffed up and the wind is blowing, which knocks him off balance... or as you say, whatever is his genetic line problem comes and goes... That is more likely the 'correct' problem. :)

As for his 'morning hens'... again the ones making the biggest ruckus are the non-rooster hens.. and those are invariably the ones he goes after in the mornings... and last I checked in the coop, he didn't sleep with them, but with the ones he was raised with... so that also goes in line with your ideas on that one :). Oh, and obviously he does not sleep in a separate coop. :) I have 15 birds in one 4ish x 8ish foot coop. A tad on the small side, but they love to crowd each other anyway, and have lots of space in their run. But the coop size is one of the reasons I want only one rooster at a time, as I assumed issues would crop up if there were 2 roosters. Plus a 'regular egg breed' rooster would take up a heck of a lot more real estate in there than my puny little Polish guy. :)

As for your rabbiting... I can greatly appreciate that, as it is my personality as well. :)
I better get going for now though, we have lots of chores to get done today! :)
Thanks again as always for your wonderful replies!

Yeah, it's a shame about that young man, mostly his religion as a whole isn't that restrictive regarding medical assistance, it was just his particular community's interpretation.

I've also got a preference for mongrels of all species as opposed to purebreds. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate a purebred but for hardy animals I'd pick a mongrel every time. I've got a book written by one of the foremost experts on canine genetics in the USA and he says every purebred has at least 4 faulty genes, and none of them are minor faults either, they're all quite serious; some are so hideous that it becomes an ethical issue that begs the question of why we are retaining and reproducing the breed in that form. Some breeds of half a hundred thousand individuals have the genetic variance of 20 individuals, too, it's alarming to say the least.

It's a shame so many people are all for desexing every mongrel and only letting purebred breeders produce, since the theory is that their animals are superior. (lol). I think this is a great mistake, personally. At the rate of desexing in Australia, in a few decades we're going to only have left mainly feral dogs/cats and purebred/inbred domestics to carry on the species, since we're effectively culling out the majority of domestic mongrels inbetween the two extremes.

Any especially high quality animal should be recognized as such and preserved intact for careful breeding, I reckon, even if (or especially if) it's a mongrel, not just desexed arbitrarily. France has laws stating no cat or dog may be desexed for non medical reasons, so 95% of all their dogs and cats are not desexed, yet they don't have the same overpopulation issue we Aussies do. This says to me that our management is a crude way to arrive at the same conclusion, population control, it's too arbitrary and great individuals with much to offer future generations are being cut out of the genepool without due consideration as to the future genetics.

From my experiences with animals, not many are actually problem breeders who breed nonstop at every opportunity; a stable, healthy, intelligent and happy animal takes its time and controls its breeding, waiting for the best time, environment, mate, and peak of health etc. Less intelligent or healthy animals tend to overdo it and that's where human management should step in, whether that involves restraining the animal at the appropriate times or desexing it, but the constant desex-as-a-rule habit is leaving me wondering what genetic lines will be left in the near future, several decades down the track.

(I'm not against desexing at all, I desexed some of my animals as necessary, but I don't believe it should be done as a rule with no regarding the quality of the animal. In the long term picture, I believe mongrels are being severely undervalued).

I recently lost my cat at 16, which was amazing considering she had quite a few health problems in her life and nearly died many times. 22 is amazing, would have loved for mine to get that old...
Quote: Do you handle him fairly frequently? If ever I see a bird getting pushed around by the wind, I tend to find it's lost a severe amount of weight and/or is weakened by something. If you don't know if he's a healthy weight or not, this would be a good time to check. I don't know how strong the winds are where you guys are but if the rest of the flock's not being shoved around too, I'd suspect steep weight loss in the rooster.

Just feeling the breastbone will give you an idea of his general weight even if you don't pick him up, but whatever works, really. I always conduct random weight tests as they roost at night, it's helped me identify problems before any other symptoms are showing. I recall one rooster I gently lifted to check the weight of, and he'd gone so terribly light that just my lifting him to standing position on the perch almost threw him into the air. He looked normal otherwise, acted normal, you'd never have known he'd wasted almost to death, he must have weighed about as much as a small Serama despite being a normal sized bird. He was dying when I got him but seemed to pick up for a bit so I stopped monitoring him so intensively.

Best wishes with your flock.

Yeah, it's a shame about that young man, mostly his religion as a whole isn't that restrictive regarding medical assistance, it was just his particular community's interpretation.

I've also got a preference for mongrels of all species as opposed to purebreds. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate a purebred but for hardy animals I'd pick a mongrel every time. I've got a book written by one of the foremost experts on canine genetics in the USA and he says every purebred has at least 4 faulty genes, and none of them are minor faults either, they're all quite serious; some are so hideous that it becomes an ethical issue that begs the question of why we are retaining and reproducing the breed in that form. Some breeds of half a hundred thousand individuals have the genetic variance of 20 individuals, too, it's alarming to say the least.

It's a shame so many people are all for desexing every mongrel and only letting purebred breeders produce, since the theory is that their animals are superior. (lol). I think this is a great mistake, personally. At the rate of desexing in Australia, in a few decades we're going to only have left mainly feral dogs/cats and purebred/inbred domestics to carry on the species, since we're effectively culling out the majority of domestic mongrels inbetween the two extremes.

Any especially high quality animal should be recognized as such and preserved intact for careful breeding, I reckon, even if (or especially if) it's a mongrel, not just desexed arbitrarily. France has laws stating no cat or dog may be desexed for non medical reasons, so 95% of all their dogs and cats are not desexed, yet they don't have the same overpopulation issue we Aussies do. This says to me that our management is a crude way to arrive at the same conclusion, population control, it's too arbitrary and great individuals with much to offer future generations are being cut out of the genepool without due consideration as to the future genetics.

From my experiences with animals, not many are actually problem breeders who breed nonstop at every opportunity; a stable, healthy, intelligent and happy animal takes its time and controls its breeding, waiting for the best time, environment, mate, and peak of health etc. Less intelligent or healthy animals tend to overdo it and that's where human management should step in, whether that involves restraining the animal at the appropriate times or desexing it, but the constant desex-as-a-rule habit is leaving me wondering what genetic lines will be left in the near future, several decades down the track.

(I'm not against desexing at all, I desexed some of my animals as necessary, but I don't believe it should be done as a rule with no regarding the quality of the animal. In the long term picture, I believe mongrels are being severely undervalued).

I recently lost my cat at 16, which was amazing considering she had quite a few health problems in her life and nearly died many times. 22 is amazing, would have loved for mine to get that old...
Do you handle him fairly frequently? If ever I see a bird getting pushed around by the wind, I tend to find it's lost a severe amount of weight and/or is weakened by something. If you don't know if he's a healthy weight or not, this would be a good time to check. I don't know how strong the winds are where you guys are but if the rest of the flock's not being shoved around too, I'd suspect steep weight loss in the rooster.

Just feeling the breastbone will give you an idea of his general weight even if you don't pick him up, but whatever works, really. I always conduct random weight tests as they roost at night, it's helped me identify problems before any other symptoms are showing. I recall one rooster I gently lifted to check the weight of, and he'd gone so terribly light that just my lifting him to standing position on the perch almost threw him into the air. He looked normal otherwise, acted normal, you'd never have known he'd wasted almost to death, he must have weighed about as much as a small Serama despite being a normal sized bird. He was dying when I got him but seemed to pick up for a bit so I stopped monitoring him so intensively.

Best wishes with your flock.
Just wanted to get a quick reply regarding the rooster... I did get a chance to pick him up yesterday...He feels fine in regards to weight and such. So it is most likely as you said- genetic. I am getting my dog crate back in the next few days, so I can get his feathers growing back in. Maybe part of it is being constantly pecked in the head. Either way, he will finally look purdy for his hens! lol
Back to work I go! I will come back later and reply some more. :)

This is going in a new direction--purebreds vs mongrels. Am not sure my experience matches yours although I appreciate mongrel hardiness also. If you have a female dog in heat the yard fills with interested suitors, purebred and not, and I don't believe I've met a selective male. People dump cats on our road and the area is full of starving kittens and cats in the winter so it's left to a few of us to capture, adopt and/or neuter them to try to slow the pattern.

I have two roosters, one the pecked poofhead and the other a cochin The Poofhead is #2 rooster and is going hungry because he only thinks of sex. Especially first thing in the morning. Both of them, when spotting a hen alone across the yard, will race to jump on her. A few of the hens are "easy" and they pay with their back feathers. Banties have not been messed up in breeding, I think. My banty hen would decide it was time and actively seduce the rooster until she had a clutch, probably hidden somewhere I couldn't find it.

This is going in a new direction--purebreds vs mongrels. Am not sure my experience matches yours although I appreciate mongrel hardiness also. If you have a female dog in heat the yard fills with interested suitors, purebred and not, and I don't believe I've met a selective male. People dump cats on our road and the area is full of starving kittens and cats in the winter so it's left to a few of us to capture, adopt and/or neuter them to try to slow the pattern.

I have two roosters, one the pecked poofhead and the other a cochin The Poofhead is #2 rooster and is going hungry because he only thinks of sex. Especially first thing in the morning. Both of them, when spotting a hen alone across the yard, will race to jump on her. A few of the hens are "easy" and they pay with their back feathers. Banties have not been messed up in breeding, I think. My banty hen would decide it was time and actively seduce the rooster until she had a clutch, probably hidden somewhere I couldn't find it.
It did a bit...
Back on it... :) Going hungry... you took them from the food, you mean?
And how interesting that she will actively seduce... I know Chooks4Life mentioned that as well... so different than my birds to date. I wonder if I will ever have one like this... only time will tell. :)

This is going in a new direction--purebreds vs mongrels. Am not sure my experience matches yours although I appreciate mongrel hardiness also. If you have a female dog in heat the yard fills with interested suitors, purebred and not, and I don't believe I've met a selective male.

The more instinctive they are, the more selective both genders are. So most dogs aren't selective, but dingoes, wolves, etc and the breeds closer to their wilder ancestors are selective. Many of my roosters were also selective, others not, I didn't select them for selectiveness as I leave most of that job up to the hens; as far as my research on it has told me, their choice of mate is the most important one, more so than the male's.

About the dogs in heat, people who keep intact bitches but who know how to manage them often use a 'b*tch box' which is a raised kennel she lives in at that time of the season. For those who know how to manage a b*tch in heat it's no problem, but for those who don't know, or lack the resources, or have a b*tch who goes into silent heats and so forth or goes AWOL in anticipation so she can't be restrained, desexing is definitely their better bet. Off topic it's kinda silly you can't call a female dog by her proper term on this site. Whatever. ;)

People dump cats on our road and the area is full of starving kittens and cats in the winter so it's left to a few of us to capture, adopt and/or neuter them to try to slow the pattern.

I spent years working against a massive cat colony continually added to by dumpers, it was tragic. Researchers reckon there's a 'dump zone' outside every large town, a distance people are statistically more likely to dump their animals in than any other area, and in my experience living across the country in many different towns, this is very true. I've lived in a few dumping zones.

My experience there has been the same, the banties were more instinctive. The females, anyway. In really old texts on chickens you hear about a seduction behavior the females used to display, fluttering their wings. This would make sense because in the wild most species have some method of letting a male know the female is receptive, and it's not just scent or season because that doesn't mean she's receptive to every male who smells it or is around at that time.

I had one hen (a non-bantam) who would spot her boyfriend charging across the yard, dragging his wingtips in the dirt and stomping all the way, and she'd wait until he was almost in her face before she'd spin around and sit on the spot. Very coordinated to say the least. Those two would mate without him grabbing onto her with his beak and I've since seen many roosters and hens who mate without any feather grabbing whatsoever, and many hens including non-bantams who invite males.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic subject of mongrels etc, it's a pet peeve of mine, but at no point do I expect everyone to stop desexing all of their animals. I was afraid it could come across as an anti-desexing rant but that's not actually what I was on about.

Appropriate genetic mongrel evaluation having an influence on otherwise totally arbitrary and biased breeder/nonbreeder selection is more what I meant. Too many people favor purebreds and it's not really based on logic; they have some value but compared to mongrels it's not high. And in most parts of Austalia people are militant about desexing but when it's done without consideration for future generations then one runs the risk of cutting some great and irreplaceable genes out of the feline and canine genepools completely.

Best wishes to all.

Just an interesting update...
Today I realized that my Polish rooster probably is not mentally handicapped or what not. He broke/messed up his back toe months and months ago... I forgot about it. But, it seems to be exactly the reason why he loses his balance- the toe is twisted so that the nail faces upwards, and no real part of the toe ever touches the ground. We watched him closely today. From what we could see, every time he stumbled while shaking with/without wind, it was on that foot. He took off running up a short quick hill, and slipped on that side, because there was no nail to dig in and afford grip.
He and his Polish hen are going into their new digs tonight though- the Isolation Chicken Unit (ICU, lol). I spent all day fencing in a section so they had some walking space, then the dog kennel to sleep in at night, and her to lay eggs.
Anyhoo. Just thought Chooks, you might want that interesting tidbit. :)
Thanks! :)

lol yeah, that's very relevant. Good thing you noticed. He might be a breeder after all then. ;)
Yeah, it just never dawned on me that it might cause issues. I can't say that I noticed him being clumsy compared to the hens, since the only time I noticed anyone clumsy was when they tried to get on a roost and aimed wrong and fell down. I bet it also explains why he can be somewhat of a clumsy breeder, huh? I have no other reference, but I assume the rooster isn't supposed to slip off the hens back very often right? :) Yeay for my non mentally handicapped rooster! lol :p

Back
Top Bottom