1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rooster behavior with Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, Apr 15, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Someone told me to have atleast 10 hens per rooster, otherwise he will tare the hens up breeding them. Is this true?? What if I only want 4 hens with one rooster, is this a bad idea?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A good ratio would be 10:1 to keep your hens from being overmated, but it also depends on the natural drives the rooster has.
    Some people have fewer hens with no problems.

You could try it with 4 and see how it goes, add more hens later if needed.

3. mommy9994

mommy9994 Songster

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    right now I have 2 roos and 2 hens, and I'm sure that my hens can't wait for my pullets to grow up! then there will be 30 girls, and I may have to think abut another roo. They aren't torn up-- though a little thin on the back feathering (especially the boys' favorite), but they sure can run fast!!

4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Songster

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    You might want to try and get a banty rooster if your hens are standard size. They go a bit easier on them due to the size difference. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: