Rooster behavior

Pics
My rooster started doing this awhile ago too, and what I would tell you to do, is to give (him personally) treats to show him that you aren't a threat. Treat the rest of your hens with respect too, not inducing loud noises around him. I would also at some point try to assert your dominance, and show him who's the boss. If he's mating with one of the ladies, shoo him away. By doing this you are showing that you are head hancho!! good luck!

Anot
My rooster started doing this awhile ago too, and what I would tell you to do, is to give (him personally) treats to show him that you aren't a threat. Treat the rest of your hens with respect too, not inducing loud noises around him. I would also at some point try to assert your dominance, and show him who's the boss. If he's mating with one of the ladies, shoo him away. By doing this you are showing that you are head hancho!! good luck!
Another thing, is that it's his responsibility to call when there is good present, so he's just looking out for his ladies! most of the time, they won't try anything if your feeding them, but keep a lookout! I hope some of this helps!

If he's following you when you don't have any food or any indication of providing food, then it's plausible that he thinks you are intruding on his territory, and that he is the top rooster. This is unacceptable; you must be the top rooster. As @BirdGirl2004 says, asserting your dominance by advancing on him when he does so to you and not allowing him to mate hens or crow in your presence will put him in his place.

What kind of noises does he make as he follows you? If it's that chuckly little 'treats' noise then I wouldn't be concerned, but any alarm call or a threatening growl would be unacceptable.

Lately my rooster has been following me when I go out to give the girls treats. Today I put down the treats, dropped the bag, then started walking away and my roo kept following me, as he did throughout the rest of the day. Is he just being friendly and wanting food or is he going to try and assert his dominance at some point?
He is thinking about taking you on. He may start attacking you. Make sure he knows you are at the top of the pecking order and he is below you. I would keep him away from you, maybe scare him off. But don’t agitate him

Do not interrupt him during lobe making,roosters,escpecially dominant ones,chase away subordinates when their mating and crowing.Pushing him off his hens is also a way of competition,that’s how males compete.If he isn’t attacking you now,he likely is gonna attack you if you proceed doing those things.You best bet to keep the peace is constantly make sure he steps out of your way and hold hens around him every so often.

Back
Top Bottom