Rooster behavior

Adrisducks

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Is he being rough with them? I don't mean to be rude by saying this, but mating is just what they do. If he is causing damages to the girls, or if they are showing signs of being scared I'd say there is a potential problem. If not, and it's just the amount of breeding that is a concern, I wouldn't fret it to much.

I have had boys that will calm down after a while with their new flock, and I've had some that are just always "wired up." If he's not hurting them though I wouldn't worry much.
I don't think he's hurting them, I don't see any visible damage to them or any feathers pulled out. I just worry his favorites will get hurt eventually. Some of the girls try to run from him. Most don't.

Trimurtisan

Chief Chicken Choker
May 22, 2019
A cypress swamp in FL
I don't think he's hurting them, I don't see any visible damage to them or any feathers pulled out. I just worry his favorites will get hurt eventually. Some of the girls try to run from him. Most don't.
Did you do any research about cockerels/roosters before acquiring him?

Might I suggest spending a couple days just researching rooster husbandry.

Last edited:

Adrisducks

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Oh my gosh, you can relax for sure then.
His favs have a crowd to get lost in lol! Little question too.
Do you ever lose which end is his head?
Iv'e stared hard and can't tell he's so fuzzy. :p
I have some really dumb girls that follow him 24/7 no matter what lol but I'm sure they'll figure it out some day. I think you're looking at the wrong one in the pic. The white ones are females. This is the rooster in question.
The pure white one is very nice and I love her but she's probably the dullest tool in the shed. Poor thing gets hair cuts often but still has trouble doing basic things. Just a silkie thing I guess.

Attachments

Adrisducks

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
Did you do any research about cockerels/roosters before acquiring him?

Might I suggest spending a couple days just researching rooster husbandry.
I have but thank u. And I've mentioned I've had several roosters before in my post I wrote how this new rooster was replacing a different one.

BigBlueHen53

Fragile, Beautiful, Strong
Premium member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I don't know how old he is. I don't know the previous owner, I doubt he's even a year yet.
So he is probably under a year old and has 30 hens to service. I think his behavior as you described it sounds about normal, if he is indeed the only roo. He's doing his best to do the job of three roosters. Unless he is jumping on the same hens repeatedly, he probably won't do any harm to any of them, rather he may wear himself out trying to keep up. My advice is to add another rooster or two to the flock and give the poor boy a break.

Adrisducks

Chirping
Oct 26, 2016
So he is probably under a year old and has 30 hens to service. I think his behavior as you described it sounds about normal, if he is indeed the only roo. He's doing his best to do the job of three roosters. Unless he is jumping on the same hens repeatedly, he probably won't do any harm to any of them, rather he may wear himself out trying to keep up. My advice is to add another rooster or two to the flock and give the poor boy a break.
I have one other roo. A teeny tiny frizzle serama I've had for years. This new silkie rooster chases him away from the girls. The serama has a few loyal hens though. I never thought I'd be in a situation where I needed more roosters.

BigBlueHen53

Fragile, Beautiful, Strong
Premium member
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
I have one other roo. A teeny tiny frizzle serama I've had for years. This new silkie rooster chases him away from the girls. The serama has a few loyal hens though. I never thought I'd be in a situation where I needed more roosters.
Neither did I! But I just lost one and now about four or five of my hens are widows! It's always something, ain't it? :gig

Top Bottom